pay to avoid hassle?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rasincain, Aug 31, 2003.

1. rasincain

rasincain Member

I thought I was done with this, but it seems like the same thing keeps popping up, so I'm back trying to get caught up AGAIN...

While, I search, just in case anyone has any advice for me directly, I would appreciate it.

Dh financed a truck with BOA. Made some payments with check, some with cash. After we were married, I threw out alot of receipts thinking they were just ATM receipts AND not knowing he had not received the title. We didn't notice the lack of title until I checked his credit report & saw that BOA was charging off the full amount of the loan. I wrote to the CRA's & BOA to try to fix it. It was eventually removed, probably by the CRA's & not BOA b/c BOA's own history reporting proved that payments were made & they couldn't charge off the full amount.

He has now recieved a collection notice for $406 willing to settle for $325. It hasn't shown up on his experian report yet, but I haven't checked anything else yet. I can't prove that we don't owe this, since I don't have every record of the entire payment history. We are one year from the SOL, so I don't have that leg to stand on either.

Any advice on the steps to take. I am so tired & angry of the situation & am almost want to pay the amount for a written promise that it will be removed/ or not reported whichever the case may be.

We are still in the 30 day time frame of receiving this letter. I just read a post stating this is the time to request verification requiring every detail of the loan. That one is new to me, since I had just been dealing with validation. (I can't remember the poster or the thread right now).

I am considering doing this or validation. Depending on the response from that, I think I will just go for the deletion for payment route. Since I don't have every payment record & am hesitant to claim I have payment history without complete proof. Any tips? WWYD? The CA is Cavalry which I read bottom feeders, but aren't they all? I have had results with Gulf state- can they be much worse?

2. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd request validation. Since you don't have the receipts you may not owe anything.

3. rasincain

rasincain Member

Thanx bigmon. I plan on validating, I guess I'm just scared of being sued or something, I just don't have the energy for this anymore. However, I think my chances of them not validating just got a little better.

Does anyone know if creditors will completely change the acct # when you move or begin paying at a different site? I don't mean like adding a few #'s or something. I mean something like going from 3023456 to 9607838. I have no way of figuring this out dh didn't write acct #'s on his checks. However, BOA is reporting this loan with the original acct. # & paid as agreed. the CA is collecting under the 2nd #.

I know what you are thinking & it isn't that easy- here comes the tricky part. I have a receipt for each acct #. One is b/4 he moved & the other after he moved to a different town in the same state. Would they actually change the acct # that dramatically? I just don't know how dh didn't catch that. Anyone have experience with changing acct #'s.

Regardless, I am hoping this will help a little.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I agree Get thet letter out!!!!!

5. lbrown59

I plan on validating, I guess I'm just scared of being sued or something

rasen cain
    ===================
    What you gonna do if they sue you and you haven't validated?

6. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

They have to prove you DO owe...

An important question - did you ever get title?

7. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

8. rasincain

rasincain Member

Re: Re: pay to avoid hassle?

I don't think I understand the question. Do you mean if THEY haven't validated? Sorry. I was very tired last night & got a little worked up about this stuff again. If they haven't validated, I would obviously argue that. I guess I have just read to many panicked "help being sued" titles.

9. rasincain

rasincain Member

no, I never got the title, that is one of the reasons I am concerned. I've heard of others who had to really go after them about titles. I have no sort of documention now.

10. rasincain

rasincain Member

Sassy

The thread I am speaking of is "Validation- The Final Word" by fedup2003. I think it uses verfication & validation kind of interchangingly & it confused me. I've done the validation thing b/4 & seeing verification so many times in one post threw me for a loop that I thought I had missed. I'm not disputing a tradeline, as they haven't put one on yet, just their collection attempt. -Which I am doing tonight. I think I just got very worried b/c we have no title, but I'm a little more encouraged today. Did you see my 2nd post about the different acct #'s? I'm hoping it will give me leverage. Do you have any insight into different acct #'s?

11. lbrown59

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by lbrown59

rasen cain
    ===================
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *I don't think I understand the question. Do you mean if THEY haven't validated?
    rasincain
    ================
    1*Above you say your afraid they will sue if you validate.
    What I'm asking is what if you don't demand validation but they sue you anyway?

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

12. lbrown59

quote:
    Originally posted by lbrown59

rasen cain
    ===================
    *I don't think I understand the question. Do you mean if THEY haven't validated?
    rasincain
    ================
    1*Above you say your afraid they will sue if you validate.
    What I'm asking is what if you don't demand validation but they sue you anyway?

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

13. rasincain

rasincain Member

lbrown59

Sorry. I meant that I was considering paying it to avoid legal hassle period AND the hassle of this process. I was just really down about the situation. I've been trying to straighten out dh's finances since we got married & sometimes I just want to say to heck with it & not bother with the process. Except, his credit affects my life.

I did send a validation notice. I got the green card back. We are half way through the 30 day period. Nothing is on his reports. Yet. We'll see what happens from here.