Paying a relatives accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by myschae, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

True that; now for the inverse:

I had co-signed (hush!) a car loan for my sister back in 1989. Around 1992, she got married, he had two cars and I had no car--mine got totalled in a truly freakish accident.

Sis gave me her car, and I tried to get the finance company (why, yes, it *was* GMAC) to put the car totally in my name. GMAC and I went back and forth for ONE YEAR, even tho I had the car and was making payments on it, to get the loan in my name.

Eventually they did...

Deb @ Mich St.

2. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

Me too George!

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

You had better be 100% correct cause if you're not you could be in for an unpleasant surprise::

4. lbrown59

Yeah and you would go into shock if you lost wouldn't you?

5. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Not only is the name not on the account, but the name isn't even on this thread. What's up with the blank space where the Creditnet nickname should go in the main thread listings? It's like dominos... one little out-of-place domino, and the whole board could crash again. :(

Doc

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I think PBM said the USER database was "restored" from a backup dated Nov first. But the MESSAGE database did not lose any records.

...so I suspect this user registered after Nov1 and his/her name is not in the USER database anymore but his/her post (this thread) still is here.

Ghost post ... verrrry scaarrrreeey, so scarey I even scared myself

-Peace, Dave

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

myschae | posts since Dec 1969

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHAT IS MY CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION FOR THE DEBT, WHEN DID I SIGN FOR IT, AND WHERE IS MY COPY OF THE CONTRACT????

9. myschae

myschae Well-Known Member

To clear up the confusion. Yes, I just registered less than a week ago. My name was originally on the thread but it was lost in the crash - I came back and was unable to post or anything.(how frustrating cause I wanted to reply and ask more questions!)

A quick email to pbm later and I was all restored but my name was missing from the thread - go figure.

I'm not a ghost - I just pinched myself and it hurt!

Myschae

10. myschae

These would be some of my questions - but then again, I'm constantly appalled at how easy it is for others to get your personal information. Frankly, I had no idea how easy it was for someone to track you through something like a check. Oh, I know it has your name and address on it but I wouldn't think they'd have access to your SSN to mess up your credit report but it seems the more reading on it the more I find out (and the less I like).

Well, I think what I'll do is this. Utilities and such I'm not too worried about.... but anything going to a Collection agency will have to be money order. No sense inviting trouble.

Oh, and if they did try and come after me, I would certainly pursue any and all legal options.

Myschae

11. lbrown59

12. lbrown59

Could be your personal check becomes such a contract.
    Hasn't it been stated over and over on this board not to offer A CA a payment becuse doing so will obligate you to pay the CA the entire amount.

Would not this also work the same way if you pay some one elses bill with your personal check??

13. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

No, because you have no contractual obligation. As George says, where is a contract with your signature? You can pay people's bils without becoming responsible for paying them forever.

14. lbrown59

Your check becomes the contract and it has your signnature on it .

15. lbrown59

Yes you can if you don't pay using your own checks!

16. lbrown59

New Info. since my last post:
    Someone was going to make a payment (using their own checking account) on somebodys boat.
    Their attorney told them not to do it because it would make them liable for paying off the note on the boat and any other bills that person might have.That person also had a loan at another bank on a pick up truck.
    Had the person wanting to help them used their own checking account they would have been stuck with paying off both loans!

17. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I am going to make a car payment for a relative of mine tomorrow and it's going to be in cash, not with a check or anything with my name on it for that very reason.

18. myschae

Hrm. That just doesn't seem legal. Why is a check considered assumption of a loan? Any ideas - can you point me to any legal statute which implies this?

Myschae

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Personally, I have no idea if it obligates the other party in any way or not. I really don't care. I just would not take the chance because then their creditor would have my name or phone number, whatever information might be on my check and I see no reason why I should allow them to know anything about me.

20. myschae

Point taken... I guess it's money orders galore.

Myschae