PECO Energy demanding a deposit!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by EC, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

When you go to talk to them, take a copy of the check that you paid to NCO. Explain that you paid all at once when you realized what was going on.

Be nice. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If they won't back off of a deposit, counter with one month's charges for six months, then returned.

It is unfortunate that they have us over a barrel, but they do.

2. bugman

bugman Well-Known Member

EC,
    If you choose to Stick To Your Guns, I highly recommend using the PUC after all other avenues with PECO have been exhausted.

I am currently battling the local Gas company who is also regulated by the PUC. After many calls, faxes, and letters with the company I went to the PUC. They have opened a file for me and have assigned me a case worker.

This is one government regulatory agency that I'm glad exists. When monopoly's have power such as this, it is good to know there is a Check against them.

I wish u the best of luck no matter what avenue you choose.

Knowing ALL your options provides you with the information necessary to make the best decision for YOU.

fweem!

3. leeanninfl

leeanninfl Active Member

At least you have 60 days to pay the deposit, here in Florida where we have FLORIDA POWER AND LIGHT, massive monopoly, well if they decide they want a deposit from you, you have 10 days to pay it, or they WILL be there on day 11 to turn you off. Then when they turn you off, they come out, shut if off without knocking on your door first to let you know. Then you go outside to find out what is goign on, and the guy says, you have to go down and pay it, then they will be out to turn it on. Well if he had come to the door first a check could have been passed to him, but NO. So a payment is paid at 11am, they tell you it will be between 2pm and midnight before they turn it on, But due to the fact that a child in the house has asthma and needs the nebulizer from time to time, they will get out there sooner. So you call again at 6, they will be there by 730, call at 9, they will be there by 10, in the mean time at 2AM they finally show up and turn your power back on.
    ELECTRIC HELL. can't wait to leave florida again.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy demanding a deposit!

5. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy demanding a deposit!

1 * they are denying you service if you don't pay a deposit.

SoParkDiva
    ===================
    Our credit department has determined that you will be required to pay a deposit for the following reason:

*** YOU HAVE AN UNCOLLECTED ACCOUNT WITH PECO ENERGY.
    The account they are referring to is a valid old account; it was sold to NCO. In October 2001, I PAID THE ACCOUNT IN FULL, $1,799

1*The *** reason for a deposit happens to be false.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

6. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy demanding a deposit!

The "stated" reason might be a misstatement due to they didn't have that information on file. All they have to do is amend the letter to say he is denied due to poor payment history. They can give any reason. Anyway he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I have had to pay a deposit to every utility & cable company I sign up with due to my prior history. When I move I probably won't have to pay a deposit because my credit is good. I never argue with them. I just pay it if I want my service.

7. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

Deposits stink. I think it's totally unfair much of the time. Especially if the requirement for a deposit is based on the distant past, not the current situation. I moved recently, and was required to put down a $100 deposit to the city for a "water meter deposit" This deposit is only refunded when you move, paid back with no interest, and is not based on any past experience, or my poor credit situation. It is a mandatory fee that EVERYONE in the city needs to pay in order to have the privelege of paying the city for Water.

If all your avenues fail, thou, do as the previous poster suggested. File a complaint with the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) I worked for a goliath telephone company, and FCC and PUC complaints were immediately brought to the attention of the CEO, President, and Board of Directors. Then some butts in management get chewed out, then the working grunts are slapped around to fix whatever is the problem.

Go down there, try and catch some flies with honey, and if that doesn't work tell the manager you're talking to "Well then I guess I have no choice but to file a complaint with the PUC" and watch his or her ears perk up. Your conversation just might not be over yet.

Hope I could be useful

ChrisB

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

Some places it's called a connection fee and you NEVER get it back!

9. lbrown59

1*They can give any reason. Anyway he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    SoParkDiva
    ================
    1*Not Necessarily So:
    As a public Utility PECO ENERGY has to file their tariff (s) with the PUCO and the Tariff (s) has to be approved by the P U C O.
    If what PECO ENERGY is pulling on EC isn't included in the Tariff (s) filed with the PUCO it is PECO ENERGY who does not have a leg to stand on.

10. lbrown59

Peco Energy
    is my current electricity provider
    I established new service with them
    PECO Energy is allowed to ask for a deposit or other guarantee if you have not established a credit history
    Energy or are found to have an unsatisfactory credit history
    Our credit department has determined that you will be required to pay a deposit for the following reason:
    YOU HAVE AN UNCOLLECTED ACCOUNT WITH PECO ENERGY."
    it doesn't matter if the account was paid in full -- we need a deposit because of your history of delinquency."
    1*Also, is what they are doing legal?
    EC
    ==============
    1*Check with the PUC and find out!
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59

11. lbrown59

They are not denying you credit they are denying you service if you don't pay a deposit.
    SoParkDiva
    =====================
    But the reason for the deposit is a falisfication!!

THE END ** *** ** LB 59

12. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

Go down there, try and catch some flies with honey, and if that doesn't work tell the manager you're talking to "Well then I guess I have no choice but to file a complaint with the PUC" and watch his or her ears perk up. Your conversation just might not be over yet.
    chrisb
    =================
    IF the honey don't work he needs to file the complaint with the regulatior.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59

13. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

I think that everyone is making this to be bigger than it is. Why? I'll tell you.

When I bought my house last year, my local electric company, CG&E, also said that they required a deposit. Well, their first mistake was putting the electric in my name before I actually gave them the deposit.

This is what I would do instead of bringing all kinds of attention to yourself:

Call PUCO or whoever can give the laws regarding disconnection of service relating to deposits. I have a hunch that they cannot disconnect service for nonpayment of a deposit. (CG&E sent me several letters regarding the payment of my deposit and I ignored them and just kept paying my bill ONTIME).

IF they cannot disconnect in your state without previous notice and/or nonpayment of deposit, I wouldn't pay the deposit. I WOULD CONTINUE TO PAY ONTIME. If you continue to pay on time, their demand for a deposit will become more and more frivolous. Why would an electric company want a deposit from a customer who pays timely?

This is how I handled my deposit demands from both CG&E and AT&T and they both went away.

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

I LIKE THE FRIVOLOUS PART...

Send them a NOTE saying something about a DEPOSIT IS FRIVOLOUS...WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING ON TIME FOR XX MONTHS...

15. delta29

delta29 Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

I am pretty sure they are in their rights to ask for a security deposit because of the fact that you were deliquent to the point of going to a collection agency (that is what they will use) You can try to talk to them and see if you can get them to forgo it.

On another note.. our electric company will keep the sec. dep. for only one year if you pay it on time and then apply it to your bill along with interest.

16. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

I am pretty sure they are in their rights to ask for a security deposit because of the fact that you were deliquent to the point of going to a collection agency (that is what they will use)
    delta29
    ===============
    I wouldn't be to sure due to the following!
    As a public Utility PECO ENERGY has to file their tariff (s) with the PUCO and the Tariff (s) has to be approved by the P U C O.
    If what PECO ENERGY is pulling on EC isn't included in the
    Tariff (s) filed with the PUCO it is PECO ENERGY who does not have a leg to stand on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE END ** *** ** LB 59

17. lbrown59

PECO Energy dem

I am pretty sure they are in their rights to ask for a security deposit because of the fact that you were delinquent to the point of going to a collection agency
    delta29
    ====================
    One ?:
    Why didn't they demand the deposit before establishing service instead of after providing the service???????
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PECO Energy dem

Send them $1.00 over your bill next month...THAT IS ALL THE DEPOSIT THEY DESERVE...

19. lbrown59

Re: PECO Energy dem

Thing I don't understand is why have they been leaving his lights on all this time and never once demanding a deposit before?

Something else don't make sense either.
    If he owes them $1700 why are they only concerned
    about a measly old deposit.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59

20. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Re: Re: PECO Energy dem

Read the original post. The money owed was paid through collections.