phantom accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, May 9, 2000.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

After pulling my credit report, I find numerous listings of credit cards I formerly had, but had closed some time ago. They carry zero balances, but I believe they affect my credit score, being still "open". I had no idea they were still in existence. What do I have to do to get rid of these guys, in preparation for applying for a mortgage. And why didn't they go away the first time??? Appreciate any thoughts.

2. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

Steve,
    IF they are not closed, close them now. They should have no real impact if they are: Closed at CONSUMERS request,zero balances and no activity in at least 12 months.
    Write or call each creditor and tell them you want them to reflect closed at consumers request and to send you a confirmation letter of such. They may not have been properly closed the first time.

Steve wrote:
    -------------------------------
    After pulling my credit report, I find numerous listings of credit cards I formerly had, but had closed some time ago. They carry zero balances, but I believe they affect my credit score, being still "open". I had no idea they were still in existence. What do I have to do to get rid of these guys, in preparation for applying for a mortgage. And why didn't they go away the first time??? Appreciate any thoughts.