Phone call from Dillards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Has anybody else got an offer from Dillards offering a card?

They said that there was no obligation unless I used the card. The only info they wanted was my DOB for "confirmation purposes".

Is this real? Could I be cracking the glass ceiling of sub-prime?

M

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DID YOU GET THE PERSON'S NAME AND ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER CALLING FROM?

Most banks rarely call for VISA/MC business...I would assume the same for DILLARDS...

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

When I get a call SUPPOSEDLY from a "BANK" about a credit card deal...I tell them to send information in the mail...

...STILL WAITING...

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

George:
    Yeah, me too. I don't want to be taking any offers over the phone.

BTW, I just got an email from a close friend of mine up in Edmond, Oklahoma and he claims there is a deal going around where you get asked to call an 809 number which is in the Bahamas or somewhere like that and if you make the call it is going to cost you $2495.00 per minute. My friend says it's cost people as much as $25,000 over that scam.

I don't have any idea whether my friend knows what he is talking about or not, but I'd sure hate to have to pay for some deal like that.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Dominican Republic

MY WIFE GOT A *********WARNING MEMO*********ON THAT NUMBER AT WORK.

People were being "PAGED" IMPORTANT (911)...and the call back number was 1-809-XXX-XXXX

They were told to IGNORE all 809 area code messages...

6. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for bursting my bubble George.

No, they didn't want me to call a number, they just asked DOB. Now the thread gets all out of control about numbers that cost thousands of bucks per minute.

I give up.

M

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Out of control?

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm...and I thought that I was the only one who thought these threads can get a tad bit off the subject of the original post...

New Post: Chapter 13 BK...Good idea?
    Next Thread: Do you know what a good idea is? It is making chocolate chip cookies with chunks instead of chips...

Never a boring day here at creditnet.com!

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll make the call to find out! How about you?

10. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Mike,

Dillards is a decent company to do business with, but I would ask that all correspondence and further information be sent via mail. Or if the offer is legit apply within the store. I never do business over the phone. You never know who is calling these days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dani

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Okay I will address your question - I work at times, training insurance agents in a call center here. Quite often, in this call center, the reps are also calling offering credit cards. For instance, they called offering Juniper cards when they first came out, and Target cards, when they had a big drive going on.

You have most likely been prequalified much the same way you are prequalified for direct mail solicitations. What you did, if you did this, was apply for the card. They say they want to "confirm information" because that sounds like they already have it - they don't, most of the time. They have to get it from you to get a "sale." It is considered a "sale" if you agree and give the information, and the rep you spoke with gets commissions, and has a quota to meet. But you may or may not get the card, just like with direct mail CC solicitations. You can probably look at PRM inquiries and see where they prequalified you - it would be in the last month or so. The credit bureau they pull will probably not be the same one they used to prequalify you.

Saying there was no obligation, unless you use the card, is not necessarily true. If you get it, you will have to cancel it and close the account, if you don't want the card, and it will most likely be on your credit report. Chances are you got a credit bureau inquiry" when you did this

When they finished getting your information, they should have read you the disclosure statement that says they are going to check your credit, it should (probably) have been recorded, and the rep should have given you an 800 number to call if you had any questions.

There, does that help? :)