phone in or online application

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by molly, Oct 21, 2000.

1. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Do you think that in general it is better to apply for credit online (not instant) or on the phone (instant)? If you apply on the phone and it's instant do they instantly pull your credit report? and if so, how is that done? For example, when I aplied for Citibank I got instant approval, did they instantly pull a report?

2. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

RE: phone in or online applica

I can't answer the first part of your question about which is better, but I _can_ answer the second, as I used to manage a store credit card program. Yes, your credit report is pulled instantly, and credit is granted based on your credit score. (Of course, I was doing this back in the 1980's, when "instantly" meant connecting to the credit bureau computer with a 2400 baud modem, downloading the data to a XT compatible, and printing it out on a dot matrix printer....)

Cheers and Prosperity,
    Cindy

3. R

R Guest

RE: phone in or online applica

My best guess is that all the online approval program does is grab your report, and look at the codes that indicate late payments, charge-offs, BK, etc. and dates... if it finds codes it doesn't like, it sends you for human approval, and if it doesn't, you get the instant approval.