PIN request when purchasing

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Sorin, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Hi all

My wife is in Romania right now and tells me they got a habit of asking for the PIN number when trying to make a purchase, much in the way they do when you use a debit card here. Of course, the clerks at the store are clueless and of course they don't know the difference between credit and debit cards (remind you, cards are pretty new sight over there). It could be because 95% of all the cards in Romania are debit cards.

Anyway, do you have any idea as to what she can do? Besides using cash or going to another store (there aren't many of them that accept cards)

If she punches the PIN is, this will be considered a cash advance? I think I'll do a little test, I've just set the cash advance limit on my Citibank account to 0, I've never used a cash advance anyway and I'm not planning to, in the future. Then I'll ask her to use her copy of the card to buy something...

Any ideas?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: PIN request when purchasin

SAY "CREDIT CARD" NOT "PIN NUMBER CARD"

3. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Yeah, she tried to explain the thing, but the clerk was clueless and had a procedure she would follow and that's it. It is unfortunate that I wasn't there, I like to argue with these types a lot :))

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I GUESS, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO ANOTHER STORE.

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Sorin:

Is their a way she or you could contact the credit card company and explain the situation? They may give her a pin and put it toward purchases. These credit card companies have got to realize that not everyone buys only in the U.S. Best of luck.

Dani