Planet feedback - Cap One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Last week I posted a thread regarding my positive experience with the Consumer Advocate at Cap One as the result of my complaint via planet Feedback. Simply put, I received a reduction in apr. to 13.9% on my 3K gold card and a promise to review my credit limit.

When I didn't hear from Cap One I assumed there would be no credit limit increase. Today I called and got a $300 increase from 3,000 to 3,300. not much but better than nothing!!

The whole Cap One experience has been positive since I got the classic card in Nov '98 while filing for BK. I like Cap One myself. I won't bore you with all the details because I have made a record of my Cap One history last week.

For the record, I have a $3,300, no annual fee, 13.9% apr., with auto rental type perks, card / Just 26 months after discharging $100,000 in credit card debt via Chap 7.

Thanks again to Marci for the Planet Feedback info.

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Jim wrote:

>Thanks again to Marci for the Planet Feedback info...

You're very welcome. I wonder if Planetfeedback will ever
    charge money to use it's service. It's unbelievably great that
    a free and easy forum exists in which one can seek redress for
    grievances and have them actually answered AND met.

BTW, Jim, you once mentioned something about med school student
    loans, I think. Are you a med student? I now work at a major
    university as a molecular biologist and was a med school hopeful.

Marci

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I am a teaching Physician as I am over 40% permanently disabled. I had a severe back injury in 1997 that led to my credit problems. I am 42 and practiced as a Physician for 12 years. I plan to teach for the next 20 years as that is all I am capable of doing physically. I am lucky that I am not in a wheelchair. Too people who do not know me, I look normal but spinal injuries are difficult.

The loans were mentioned in the context that I have old med school loans showing "I" status not "I1". I am attempting to upgrade them as prior to 1998, I was never a day late or a dollar short on any loan.

As a side issue, I discovered this website by accident 6 months ago when a student left it on the computer. I don't plan to be here much longer but have enjoyed the comraderie from professional gals and guys like yourself. When I did the Chap 7 BK, there was a possibility that I would never work again. The Chap 7 BK allowed me to keep my assets.

If you plan to be a Physician, more power to you. One thing I would like to suggest, if you don't mind, is too not get married until you are through. That is assuming you are not married. I got divorced over the stress and my lovely 14 year old daughter has too deal with shared custody.

Thanks again.

4. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Jim wrote:

>The loans were mentioned in the context that I have old med school loans
    showing "I" status not "I1". I am attempting to upgrade them as prior to 1998,
    I was never a day late or a dollar short on any loan.

I hope you get the change in status you're looking for. It 's great that they
    were never late and you haven't had to experience "default". :-(

>As a side issue, I discovered this website by accident 6 months ago when a
    student left it on the computer. I don't plan to be here much longer but have
    enjoyed the comraderie from professional gals and guys like yourself.

I like participating on message boards and began searching for credit/credit
    report message boards when I knew I'd have some derog student loans
    deleted due to rehabilitation back in October. I have learned SO MUCH from
    this board, and b/c of being here I've deleted 12/13 items on my report and
    entered "prime credit land" via Citi and now Cap One. I won't be posting as
    much on this board either anymore, but I will check in from time to time.

>When I did the Chap 7 BK, there was a possibility that I would never work
    again. The Chap 7 BK allowed me to keep my assets.

Smart move. I wonder how the new BK laws would treat someone in your
    position now. It's a scary thought.

>If you plan to be a Physician, more power to you. One thing I would like to
    suggest, if you don't mind, is too not get married until you are through. That
    is assuming you are not married. I got divorced over the stress and my lovely
    14 year old daughter has too deal with shared custody.

Thanks for the advice. The jury is still out on my ultimate plans, but as a
    translational medicine researcher, I have always appreciated the value of
    clinical medicine in academic hospitals. I also know the stress that
    medical training puts on a home, and as a "shared custody" child myself,
    I will try to preserve my family unit as well as I can.

Thanks for answering my question and for your advice,

Marci

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

The proposed new Bk law would really have cost me money as my assets were overwhelmingly in retirement accounts. Similarly if I had waited to Bk after I began to work again: it would have been Chap 13 not Chap 7.

I have deleted most of my bad credit info from my reports due to what I have learned on the board.

If you would ever like to chat on creditmania (in the chat room) with me about the med curriculum or "shared custody" child raising let me know. I try to be an excellent father but getting to talk anonomously with an adult who was through the shared custody routine would be welcomed by me.

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Jim wrote:

>If you would ever like to chat on creditmania (in the chat room) with me
    about the med curriculum or "shared custody" child raising let me know. I try
    to be an excellent father but getting to talk anonomously with an adult who
    was through the shared custody routine would be welcomed by me.

A good book you may want to read is called "The Unexpected Legacy of
    Divorce" by J. Gallagher (author sp???). It is a sociological study that
    shadowed children of divorce from the Bay Area for about 20 years. It's
    gotten a lot of good press, since it came out a few months ago and may
    help you identify some potential minefields that you and your daughter can
    avoid. My s.o. and I intend on reading it to prevent divorce in our own lives.

It's tough for kids, no matter how amicable the divorce. My parents' split
    was NOT amicable, so I have some deeper regrets that your daughter may
    not have to deal with.

Since I don't like to participate in chat rooms, and my PC refuses to download
    any page from Creditmania, message boarding is the extent of my internet
    community.

Anyway, I will be reading from time to time, so if you ever have a question or
    advice, just direct a post to me, and I'll try to respond.

Marci

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks for the book!!!

8. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Yes, thanks for the planetfeedback info. I sent a complaint to Cap One and got a reply within a few hours. I was shocked. I got a $300.00 increase on each of my cards without a credit inquiry, and they removed my monthly fee from my gold card. Now, I am happy with CapOne again :).
    I also sent a complaint to Direct Merchants Bank. I bet I never get a response. LOL

Good Luck

Mike