Please Critique my OC Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dlm3089, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dlm3089

dlm3089 Active Member

My lawsuit against an OC for failure to mark an account in dispute and for damages/loss of opportunity associated with that.
    =======================

David L.
    (Plaintiff)

Vs

Original Creditor
    (Defendant)

COMPLAINT

STATEMENT OF FACTS

Plaintiff (David L.) sues Original Creditor (Defendant) and alleges:

1. This is an action for damages which does not exceed $15,000.

2. Plaintiff claims the amount of $15,000 as being due from Defendant for multiple violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and from actual damages substained from the Defendant's actions including loss of opportunity.

3. Defendant, (Original Creditor) is a cellular telephone company doing business in the County of xxx, state of Georgia.

4. Plaintiff files this Complaint in the xxxx County Court under section § 618. Jurisdiction of courts; limitation of actions [15 U.S.C. § 1681p] of the Fair Credit Reporting Act stating an action to enforce any liability created under this title may be brought in any appropriate United States district court without regard to the amount in controversy, or in any other court of competent jurisdiction, within two years from the date on which the liability arises.

5. Due to several accounts (three) being listed by the Defendant of the Plaintiff's credit report, Plaintiff sent Defendant a dispute letter requesting to investigate the matter. Plaintiff sent the dispute letter via Certified Mail/Return Receipt (7002 0460 0002 7803 xxxx) on June 11th, 2003.

6. On June 12th, 2003 the Defendant received and signed for the Plaintiff's dispute letter, requesting to investigate the matter.

7. The Plaintiff received the signed green card from the Defendant on June 14th, 2003.

8. Plaintiff never received any return corespondence from the Defendant.

9. On June 13th, Plaintiff disputed the three accounts the the three major credit bureaus. (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian). The Defendant verified each of the three accounts with every credit bureau but failed to inform the credit bureaus the each account was being disputed by the Plaintiff - a violation of the FCRA.

COUNT (1 THROUGH 3) AGAINST DEFENDANT
    VIOLATION OF THE FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT

10. Plaintiff re-alleges the allegations set forth in the Paragraphs 1 through 9 hereinabove.

11. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Section § 623. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies [15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2] (a) (3) Duty to provide notice of dispute. If the completeness or accuracy of any information furnished by any person to any consumer reporting agency is disputed to such person by a consumer, the person may not furnish the information to any consumer reporting agency without notice that such information is disputed by the consumer.

12. The Plaintiff sent the Defendant a letter of dispute for each of three accounts and the Defendant furnished and verified each account with the Credit Bureaus without notifying the Credit Bureaus that each account was being disputed by the Plaintiff.

13. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 616. Civil liability for willful noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681n], (a) In general. Any person who willfully fails to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of (1) (A) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or damages of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000, (2) such amount of punitive damages as the court may allow; and (3) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.

14. Plaintiff has a negative Experian credit score of 598 as of this date and has been denied credit at reasonable rates because of the negligent noncompliance actions and/or inactions of the Defendant.

15. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 617. Civil liability for negligent noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681o]
    (a) In general. Any person who is negligent in failing to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of
    (1) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure;
    (2) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.

THEREFORE Plaintiff requests judgment against Defendant for damages of $2,000 plus costs and fees.

COUNT (4 THROUGH 6) AGAINST DEFENDANT
    VIOLATION OF THE FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT

16. Plaintiff re-alleges the allegations set forth in paragraphs 1 through 15 hereinabove.

17. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Section § 623. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies [15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2] (a) (3) Duty to provide notice of dispute. If the completeness or accuracy of any information furnished by any person to any consumer reporting agency is disputed to such person by a consumer, the person may not furnish the information to any consumer reporting agency without notice that such information is disputed by the consumer.

18. After the Defendant failed to respond to the Plaintiff about either account, and 30 days after the Plaintiff's original dispute letter, the Plaintiff again sent another dispute letter to the Defendant on July 11th, 2003. The letter stated that the Plaintiff was in full dispute of each account and requested that the matter be investigated. Plaintiff sent this second letter Certified Mail/Return Receipt (7003 0500 0001 8570 xxxx) on July 12th, 2003.

19. On July 14th, 2003, the Defendant received and signed for the Plaintiff's second dispute letter, requesting to investigate the matter.

20. The Plaintiff received the signed green card from the Defendant on July 16th, 2003.

21. Plaintiff disputed each of the three accounts with the Equifax on July 15th, 2003. The Defendant verified all three accounts with Equifax but failed to notify or inform Equifax the each account was being disputed by the Plaintiff.

22. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 616. Civil liability for willful noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681n], (a) In general. Any person who willfully fails to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of (1) (A) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or damages of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000, (2) such amount of punitive damages as the court may allow; and (3) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.

23. Plaintiff has a negative Experian credit score of 598 as of this date and has been denied credit at reasonable rates because of the negligent noncompliance actions and/or inactions of the Defendant. Plaintiff applied for a credit card and was denied because of the actions and/or inactions of the Defendant. Plaintiff also applied for a $10,000 personal loan and was denied because of the actions and/or inactions of the Defendant. On August 25th, 2003, the Plaintiff was denied employment by ABC company because of the actions and/or inactions of the Defendant.

24. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 617. Civil liability for negligent noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681o]
    (a) In general. Any person who is negligent in failing to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of
    (1) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure;
    (2) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.

25. On August 15th, 2003, Plaintiff sent Defendant a "NOTICE OF INTENT TO FILE LAWSUIT" letter informing Defendant of their violations/and liability. Plaintiff requested immediate deletion of accounts within 72 hours as a last chance to avoid a lawsuit, but again the Defendant failed to respond.

THEREFORE Plaintiff requests judgment against Defendant for damages of $2,000 for multiple violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Plaintiff request judgment against Defendant for damages of $11,000 for actual/punative damages and loss of opportunity.

WHEREFORE, the Defendant have violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act which resulted in actual damages and loss of opportunity for the Plaintiff. Plaintiff demands judgment in the amount of $15,000.00, plus all costs of this action.

FURTHER, sayeth naught.
    STATE OF STATE
    COUNTY OF COUNTY

Plaintiff being duly sworn on oath, says the foregoing is a just and true statement of the amount due by the Defendant to the Plaintiff, for violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, exclusive of all set-offs and just grounds from defense.

Signature

2. gmaof1

gmaof1 Well-Known Member

I thought that the laws did not apply to the original creditor, only collection agencies and credit bureaus.
    If I'm reading this right, you are filing against the original creditor as they failed to list the item as disputed - Correct? (thank you for your patience, I'm a newbie!)

3. prafces

prafces Active Member

I have a very similar situation with a cell phone company. I have gone through the entire letter writing campaign also. I haven't gotten any response from them.

After reading the Fair Credit Reporting Act, it appears to me that while the OC is violating the act, only the state can bring an action against the OC. But I could be missing something. What is your rationale for filing the suit against the OC? If there is a way, I want to use it also.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

What gave you the impression that OCs are above the law?

5. dlm3089

dlm3089 Active Member

<bump>

6. lsmith15

lsmith15 Well-Known Member

I did just about the same thing u did with cell phone provider only it was never mine .......never had cell phone service with this company they had it listed on all 3 CRA's sent them 4 letters last one ITS got back where they removed the items but refuse to pay me damages ......fax over a copy of my ITS letter with a copy of the complaint I was gonna file in Federal Court told them in my fax i will hold off for 1 week in filing my suit was asking for 45,000 in statutory damages, punitive damages, plus 3,000 dollars in damages for being turned down for a cell phone service they wanted a 1500 deposit......one day before my deadline to file I got a over night package from them agreeing to pay what I asked in my ITS letter......had to agree to not sue. BTW they were the OC and when they got my fax they caved in because they knew I had them on about 9 FCRA violations. OC if u dispute a debt must report to the CRA's that it is in dispute just the same as a CA. Hope this helps.

7. dlm3089

dlm3089 Active Member

Re: Re: Please Critique my OC Lawsuit

If you don't mind me asking, what were your damages, and what made you willing to file in Federal Court vs. Small Claims? And if you were to file in Federal Court, were you going to proceed Pro Se??

8. prafces

prafces Active Member

I'm not trying to be argumentative with everyone because I want to be as aggressive as I can be with the cell phone company reporting me. I also understand that anyone can sue anyone for anything. But...

What was the basis for the lawsuits? It is a violation of the law that an OC doesn't report a debt in dispute. But my reading of the law says that consumers have no remedy in court against an OC that didn't report a dispute--only the state can take actions. I hope I'm reading it wrong. Does everyone read it differently than I do or is everyone depending on the fact that a lawsuit being filed against the OC helps the OC to resolve the problem?

9. lsmith15

dlm3089.......filing in Federal Court really gets there attention.....they take notice of it and you can ask for much higher damages in Federal Court.

10. lsmith15

Prafces check out this web site:

www.carreonandassociates.com

look under all credit Articies Section Credit repair using samll claims court it tells u what u can sue for and what the violations are; OC failing to report to CRA of your dispute is subject under section 623 to a statutory damage of 1,000 per occurence