Please give me advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Aug 6, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

What would you do??
    I received a Capital One Mastercard in the mail today with a whole $200 limit. They want $79 yearly fee plus $6 a month. I already have a capital one since December 2000 with $900 limit and a GetSmart with $500 (coming up on 4 months in Sept.) I have target at $200. So, how would you guys handle this one? If the limit was at least $500, I'd consider it..but for this amount, it seems stupid considering I have other options. By the way, perfect payments on all above. They checked this before Exp removed BK but now it is gone.

Your thoughts? Thanks

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Nana, personally I would pass on this card. You are on your way up the ladder, don't bite for this one. Let your removal take effect and your mortgage start reporting, 200.00 and 79.00 taken off the bat at 6.00 a month and NO limit reporting, you are way better than that:)

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TELL THEM, THEY CAN DO BETTER!!!
    No STIKIN' fees
    $1,000 min

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my feeling...though I'll have an inquiry for this...I have not activated it...do I just call and tell them no thanks?

Thanks!

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

man i thought the $29/fee was bad for my recent gold card. I told them to stick the $200 limit where the sun don't shine. She said how about $700 limit, we'll do that.

You gotta be hard and serious about closing the card. They'll budge.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

When I talk to them, do I just choose the cancellation option?

7. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Maybe you could get them to add the 200 limit to your existing card and not open the new account. That would bring that one from 900 to 1100.

But I certainly would not take that card. Your other two cards are better. Given time you will be able to do much better than your current cards. Don't accept anything that is not as good as what you already have.

8. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Call CapOne and ask for Retention. Do not let the CS Reps convince you they can help you instead. Tell them what you think of the card. Tell them you are unhappy with the terms, and you are thinking of closing it. If they say "OK" without making a better offer, ask them to combine the $200 limit to one of your other cards. Then send a complaint to CapOne through Planetfeedback.com and tell them what you think. If you make payments on time, I bet Mr. Miller will give you a better deal. Good Luck.

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thank you all! They cut the membership fee and raised to $500! :) That works for me!

10. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Congrats!

11. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

WaaaHOOo!! Great going!

Gives me MUCH hope; I got instant approval online last month for Cap1 classic. The card came with $200 approval, but as I was finally cleaning out my car today, I came across the web page I printed out when I applied that stated "you will be initially considered for Visa Gold with $1000 min,..... if not approved for Visa Gold, you will be considered for a Classic with A MINIMUM OF $500..."

I ran my butt back into the house and fired off a letter via PF to Cap 1....

Will DEFINATELY post the results.

Deb

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Back in the OLDEN' days (1980's)...PEOPLE WITH-OUT JOBS GOT $500!!!
    THAT IS WHY I LAUGH EVERY TIME I SEE A TARGET $200!!!

13. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Nana-You go girl! Good for you. I am still waiting to hear about my application when I called last week to apply.

14. bbauer

bbauer Banned

NanaC:

Do you have a paper shredder?

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Actually, Bill, I do somewhere..but its packed, why??

Thanks for all the congrats...You all keep us posted on your results!! Now I'm curious about everyone else!

16. bbauer

bbauer Banned

NanaC:

Because with an offer like you got, I think it's high time you unpacked it and gave it some exercise. :)-)

LOL

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

...ALSO BACK IN THE 80'S...
    ...GOLD WAS $5,000 MINIMUM!!!