Please Help! Advice desperatel

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Russell, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Russell

Russell Guest

I know this is a little off topic, but it does have to do with a credit line. My boss gave me a small credit line awhile back, to use for car repairs. I have been paying on it for awhile off and on, as I can afford it. They suddenly took a vacation which left me without a weeks pay. It hurt! Anyway, there was never a contract, and there's no proff I owe the debt. I am a good person and planned to pay him. Today I got my check and a note saying they took $40 out of it toward the bill. Is this legal?? Is this the same as wage garnishment? I really need some legal advice. I would like to have continued paying, because I believe in paying my debts. Please help! Any legal advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me. Thanks!

2. tired of f

tired of f Guest

RE: Please Help! Advice desper

Be happy that your boss helped you out when you needed it and suck up the $40.00 you tightwad. Your boss is probably tired of you paying a little here and a little there he probably would have respected you more if you had paid him even $10.00 or $20.00 a week but instead you are mad at him for forcing you to make good on your debt.
    SO PAY THE GUY BACK YOU DEADBEAT and look for another job because as soon as he gets his money back, your whiney but is history.

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I'm most intrigued by the concept of "They suddenly took a vacation." In my experience most vacations are not spontaneous.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sue the bastards!

First they give you a job, then they loan you money and to top it all off, they want to be repaid.

Boy O Boy, I'd sue the bastards!

5. Russell

Russell Guest

Well, it is hard to type the full story here. They are always cheating me on my overtime, and of course there is more to the story. AS I STATED, I want to pay them back. I have been paying them back. I believe in paying them back. I am not trying to weasel out of it. I just wasn't sure if they were legally allowed to take it out of my measely pay. They have screwed a lot of people. No one has worked there more than 6 months! They will get their money. I am even willing to sell this computer to put food on the table and pay them. It is that bad. If it comes down to my 2 year old son eating and them getting their money, what do you think I will do?
    I thought this board might offer some good advice. it was reccommended to me by a friend. Boy were they wrong.

6. Russell

Russell Guest

Actually, I I tried to quit and they begged me to come back. I am the hardest worker they have, in their words. And the most skilled. Why don't you get the whole story before showing me your level of maturity? You made me feel better. I am laughing. THANKS

7. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

You original presentation of your situation cast the matter in a somewhat dubious light. Anyhow, I would think that you employer could reasonable claim that your 'credit line' actually represented an advance on your wages and they are merely collecting the amount advanced. In the absence of any written agreement, I don't think you have much recourse.

8. Excuse the

Excuse the Guest

The loan you speak of represents a personal loan, under an oral contract, and should be governed by the contract laws in your state. Taking money from an employee's wages without written authority is not permitted under normal circumstances. I would contact the Labor Board of where you live and get their opinion. Second, I would state your concerns in writing to your employer and ask him to do the same. Last, I would contact an attorney who specializes in labor law to get professional advice on how to handle this without jeopardizing your job. And in the future I would hope that people who respond to legitimate credit questions would be less insulting.

9. Russell

Russell Guest

Thanks you very much. Exactly the info I was looking for. :)

Russ

10. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

How Cochranesque!