Please help me today-re coll agen

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bfllover, Jul 25, 2001.

1. bfllover

bfllover Well-Known Member

I did receive a letter from collection agency today that was sent I am sure after my phone call to them when I investigated it when I found it on my husbands credit report.The coll agency had the right address,wrong city till I called them.This involves only an amount for $164.The CA is local to me and they said no it does not get deleted in exchange for payment on my initial phone call.So I called the medical group involved with the hospitalization-dr. group with separate billing from hospital)This is also local in my city.They said they had contact with me in 99.And this was a portion of my bill not covered by insurance applied to deductible.I really do not remember that.I also called the insurance co and they said yes-that was an amount they did not pay and that I owe.The creditor( hospital group)contact also said no-this is the last letter before it gets sent to credit reports--I said no its already on there---she said well--when you pay it will only show as paid--period.So they both said no way to getting it deleted for payment.AS any of you know, after a hospitalization you are bombarded with bills,and I prob ignored it thinking insurance will pay it.So I prob should not have ignored it.MY mistake.Any hope to getting this deleted.????????I need to get some letter out quickly.It was very easy for them to pull up all info-so it was easily verifible.

2. bfllover

please help

In the letter that the CA just sent me---it says FINAL NOTICE*FINAL NOTICE Your failure to pay this balance in full may result in furthe collection action. Mind you this was the first letter I have ever received from them since they had the wrong city in the address. I want to pay,but like I said they said no to deleting the line.Has anyone else got a medical collection removed that was a valid debt,in exchange for payment that was not a really large amount and how when they intially said no.Ans what do they mean when they say in the letter...Your failure to pay this balance in full may result in further collection action.Amount is $164---This is the only collection I ever had.

3. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Re: please help

Send them LizardKing's validation letter. I am on the verge of having 2 $35 copays removed in exchange for payment. Originally, I was told no way but the tune changed after they got the validation letter.

I told them I had proof that I didn't live at the address where the original bill was sent and offered to withdraw the validation request if they agreed to delete in exchange for payment.

Now, all I need to send them is my proof of residence for the date of the bills and they said they could "make an exception" and delete.

Tom

4. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Do you know this debt to be yours? Did you request validation? Why is the insurance company refusing to pay this portion of the bill-is this in line w/what your policy states?

5. bfllover

Yes----debt is mine----this was a potion of the bill that I was to pay to meet the deductible for the year-easily verified with the original dr group and insurance co. when I called today.I do not remember,since it was all during a time I had many bills re same hospitalization.Ihad many problems in gettig bills during that time,since it was inputted wih the wrong city for the address in the emegency room.I corrected that with the hospital later,but the Collection agency still had the wrong city in their files till called them after seeing on the CRA report and getting my first and FINAL letter from them yesterday.The CA agent told me--No, we cannot delete but you are much better off paying because you cannot get credit having an unpaid collection on your reports.So,they feel they have the leverage.I will send the validation letter with a cease and desist letter---but they seem to be not budging.I also talked to a supervisor.SOL has not run out--it is from 1998 in arizona.Heres hoping!!!!!!

6. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

The person I dealt with was a supervisor also. Do you by chance have a copy of the original bill OR can you get a copy? Threaten him. I told my CA that I had a copy of bill with wrong address and was prepared to dispute with CRA that debt should never have even gone to CA because of the wrong address. I also said that once I had it removed, I wouldn't pay them a dime and they couldn't do anything about it.

He seemed to sag a bit when confronted with this info.

Tom

7. bfllover

I do not knowhow to get a copy of any of the bills that were missent because of course any of those would have been returned to senders.How were you able to get a copy?with the wrong addy.The CA just said -oh we Have Mesa,not Phoenix as your city.The hospital we went to was in Mesa,so I am sure it was a typo error originating in the ER.So I was getting phone calls all the time saying things were getting returned.Insurance co may have sent me a letter saying I had to pay a portion of deductible-but I have had no bills sent to me since 98 and really thought all was paid till it showed up on CR report and then the letter after I called CA and corrected city.---bfl

8. tltrader

tltrader Active Member

Re: Please help me today-re coll ag

Wouldn't it be nice if collection letters that said "FINAL NOTICE" were the final notice. Unfortunately, they are usually the final notice before they send you 20 more letters saying final notice. Nevertheless, I'd be careful with medical bills that are past due. My experience has been that doctors will readily sue patients over small medical bills. After all, those Jaguars burn a lot a gas.

9. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Re: Please help me today-re coll ag

Hold on. It is in your interest, and your right, to request validation of a debt that you are unsure about from the collection agency. Do it in writing-and I recommend doing everything in writing about this matter. Request validation of the account from the CA. Do a search for a letter here-there are some good ones available. Send it certified mail. Give them 30 business days to respond.

I had a similar experience-and I did not get sued. And the SOL was not near due. Make this company prove to you that this debt is what they say it is and they have the right to collect it.