PLEASE PLEASE Check my math!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by merlin, Oct 3, 2003.

1. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

My TU score just dropped for 10 points for no apparent reason.

One of the negative reasons given is:

"The proportion of balances to credit limits on your revolving/charge accounts is too high.

The proportion of balances to credit limits on your revolving/charge accounts is 14%. The average proportion of balances to credit limits on revolving/charge accounts carried by U.S. consumers is around 36%."

Please check my numbers and let me know if somehow I've lost the ability to do simple math in my old age:

Current balances: $10,308
    Current credit limits: $81,900
    Ratio of balances to credit limits: 13%

Isn't 13% (or 14% as TU has it) LOWER than 36%? Aren't my current balances more than 50% less than the average?

Am I reading this wrong? Are they ultimately saying that doing BETTER than the average consumer is a negative?

Somedays I swear the credit industry is conspiring to make me think I'm crazy!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I GET...

LENGTH OF CREDIT HISTORY too short===25+ years

TOO MANY BANK CARDS WITH BALANCES===still under 30% ratio

TOO MANY INQUIRES===zero

LACK OF CURRENT INSTALLMENT ACCOUNT===I have a mortgage---THANK YOU!!!

They just MAKE UP STUFF!!!!!

3. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is some little guy sitting at a computer thinking of things to list just to mess with us!! :)

In all seriousness, however . . . I have always believed that FICO scores try to take way too many variables into account to be able to accurately project anything. I think these odd "reasons" that come up are simply a reflection of an algorithm that doesn't (can't) work correctly.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I STILL HAVE NOT RECOVERED FROM MY MASSIVE PAY DOWN OF MY ACCOUNTS!!!

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

It could be that what they're saying is that below average utilization is still too high, i.e. still carries some risk for creditors.

You must have very good credit if they're offering that as a reason for anything. That's truly a bottom-of-the-barrel excuse.

6. Peachkiwi

Peachkiwi Well-Known Member

Did you calculate the balance to credit ratio for each individual account? Even though your total debt to credit ratio is within an acceptable range any balance to credit ratio for each individual account over 36% could cause your score to drop.

7. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

Re: Re: PLEASE PLEASE Check my math!

I considered that, but they specifically mention the 14% balance to limit ratio that I have.

In the past I have had a high balance to limit ratio on a single card, but then it is specifically mentioned (e.g., "You are currently using at least 50% of your credit limit on 1 credit card(s).")

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

9. lbrown59

Why was Fico unable to assign the correct score?

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

They have to give you three top reasons for your score--positive and negative. So, they're saying that your ratios are the thing that is keeping it from being higher. They're not saying you're more than 38%, they're just giving you the average for comparison.

I've actually had the same reason as both a positive and a negative! In fact, if you get your three bureau/three score report from PrivacyGuard, they have a table with + or - for various categories. I have several that have both + and - , which means they're both positive and negative factors.

So, if your ratio goes to 10%, your score could go up. Therefore this is a reason it's not higher than it is. As someone mentioned, this is truly a bottom of the barrel excuse, so you must be in good shape.

11. lbrown59

In all seriousness, however . . . I have always believed that FICO scores try to take way too many variables into account to be able to accurately project anything. I think these odd "reasons" that come up are simply a reflection of an algorithm that doesn't (can't) work correctly.
    merlin
    =================
    It works for them but against us.

12. lbrown59

merlin

===================It works to fleece folks quite well.

13. lbrown59