Please tell me how to handle this?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I am missing some friends in the WTC so I've been away for a bit but I need some help!

I have copies of my Experian report from several different dates between April and August 22 or so.

There is a Gulf State listed on there as Transferred and says, "This account is scheduled to stay on record until 12/2001"

Fine.

TODAY, I pulled my Experian to see if my Associates and Cap1 accounts are listed. They are and that's great, HOWEVER, the Gulf State Transferrece account now says:

"This account scheduled to stay on record until 12/2009!

What the hell is that?

Should I dispute this by mail or call Experian?

I have no clue. Sheesh 2009?!? Where did that come from?

Thanks

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sounds like your investigation resulted in an illegally reaged debt. Who did it (creditor/cra) will be hard to determine. The creditor may have unknowingly done it or tried to sneak it past because of your challenge. Experian could have done it because of "human error".

In writing, send a letter to Experian first. Explain that the reaging of this account is a violation of United States Code 1681c [Fair Credit Reporting Act] Sections 605 (a) and 605 (c). You immediately request a reinvestigation which properly reflects the account history or that the tradeline be deleted.

If they respond "remains", try the same tactic with the creditor. It is a violation of the FCRA and you have grounds for legal action.

Good luck!

3. Shirley

Here is an update:

I hope this makes sense.

I called Experian. The lady had me on hold for 25 minutes and came back on and told me that since the account is listed as Transferred and that it's under Accounts in Good Standing, they will report that for 10 years from the date the account was Transferred.

This account went into collection in 1992 and the collection agency that had it, sold it to Gulf State in 1999. It is listed as Gulf State on my report as Date Opened: 1999. Gulf has never contacted me about it.

Since it is not listed as a negative item, can they indeed keep it on my report for 10 years from 1999? Sounds unfair to me. Anyone who pulls my report and sees Gulf State is going to know it's a negative mark on my report no matter where it's listed.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Shirley:

Do the obvious thing and go after Gulf States and force them to take it off.

Not all that hard to do.

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I thought Gulf State was the original creditor.... That changes the situation a little. If I understand correctly, there is no negative information listing, just an account with Gulf State that you did not apply for new credit?

Experian is correct in the fact that positive account remain on the credit report for ten years after they close the account. If this tradeline has no negative information, it could remain for ten years.

You have a couple of things going on here.... Is it showing closed with zero balance? Have you looked at your other credit reports to see the status (TransUnion and Equifax) is reported?

Bill is right in the case that you could directly contact Gulf State and require them to "validate" the debt by providing a copy of the original application with your signature and maybe more importantly at this time, a complete history on the account which would show that it should not be reported past 2001. [sample letters are posted]

It will take a little effort, but you SHOULD be able to get the results you're looking for.........

GOOD LUCK!

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

When did a collection agency account become a positive tradeline?????????

wierd.

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Shirley, I am so sorry about your friends in NY. My heart goes out to them, their families, and you.

-Peace, Dave

8. Shirley

Okay, here is the deal. I'm very confused. I hope this makes sense

The original account was a Citibank account and the DLA is 1993 at the very latest. Actually the DLA of this particular account on my Equifax report was 12/94 and about three weeks ago, it fell off Equifax.

Experian and Transunion both have the Date Opened as 1999. Experian lists the account as STATUS: TRANSFERRED under the section of Accounts in Good Standing with Gulf State being the creditor.

Transunion's entry is the most confusing to me. They mailed me a copy of my report and the layout sucks. I can't understand what things on it mean.

It says:

Collection Record

OSI
    #XXXXXXXXXx
    OPEN ACCOUNT
    Placed for collection
    Updated 10/99
    Balance XXXXX
    Factoring Company Account
    Individual Account
    Citibank OSI Funding Corp
    Status as of 10.99: Collection account

No clue what Factoring Company account means.

No mention of it being sold or transferred or anything. I was waiting for it to fall off Experian in the next month or so but instead saw this date change today.

There are 2 hard inquiries on my report from 10/99 and 12/99 from Gulf State. They never wrote me about this debt.

It is listed as an Installment account but the only thing I ever had with Citibank was credit cards and something called Ready Credit. I thought the ready credit was revolving but I'm not sure now.

The balance says about $1,200 is owed

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Shirley are there other derogs on your report? I know you've posted before but I can't remember what you said. Sorry.

I am baffled by this being listed as positive trade line. Sounds like a computer screw up.

10. Shirley

On 8/22 my Experian reported listed 3 accounts in good standing:

Chase
    Inactive/Never late
    This was an ancient account that I don't even have anymore. The date opened is 1986, last reported 12/96. Why it is still on the report I have no idea.

Gulf State
    Transferred - Sold Collins Financial 12/99

Lerner
    Open/Never late.

As of this month, Associates, Cap 1 and Target all are added and reporting me as Pays As Agreed. I just got these three cards.

I don't understand it either. The lady at Experian was adamant that it would stay there for 10 years from the date transferred.

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They are treating it as a good account. Oh well, what is your EXP score?

12. Shirley

I don't have a clue. Isn't it expensive to get your score from Experian?

I pulled my Transunion from Worthknowing just now and it's listed as Charge Card, Individual.

Breeze, should I leave it go? Do you think it will reflect negatively on me if someone pulls the report and sees Gulf State?

Thanks!

13. Shirley

Gulf State is OSI right? The Transunion report lists Citibank OSI Funding as the Creditor.

14. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Shirley:

First, I am sorry about your friends.

Board, what law governs this debt in terms of can it be listed after 7 years, based on the DLA Shirley has listed above? I cannot think of the details here, but I believe that they are described in the law ammendments made to the FDCRA in 1997?

Any law experts out there? I would say lets get the details down on what they can or cannot do, and then figure out how to attack.

Legal Experts?

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The thing is Kel, they're not showing it as a derog - they have it in the positive accounts section of her report. Positive accounts aren't governed by any law. Only negative accounts are governed by FCRA.

Shirley, take the 30 day trial at http://www.creditexpert.com and see what your score is there - that ought to give a clue about what it's doing.

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Kel,

Do you see my logic?

(Who me? Logical?? Ooops!)

17. Shirley

I tried to sign up for Credit Expert but it said it was unable to process my request online and asked for me to mail them proof of address.

That's very strange. I have no problem retrieving my Experian report online. Bummer.

18. Shirley

And thank you very much for the words of sympathy about my lost friends. It's been quite a time.

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Breeze:

I was just going to make the point you did.

It's rather apparent that Bkev was unaware that Gulf States is a Collection agency and one of the worst in the nation, at least according to Mr. Bud Hibbs.

As far as I am concerned, they are a bunch of *****cats since they have never yet stood up to one of my attacks.

Be that as it may, do you think we ought to let Bkev in on the fact that her failure to recognize Gulf States for one of those mean and nasty collection agencies is NOT considered a hanging offense around here or should we just let her sweat it out????

LOL

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The defense pleads ignorance that Gulf States is/was a collection agency. Further, the defense stipulates that Bill has dealt with all the collections agencies.

OK? :)