Positive post: Amex Blue

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Sorin, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know... In a moment of boredom I tried to apply for an Amex blue... the result: 7500 and 12.99%, online approval. I think this is my last application I'll do for a long time from now on, there's really no need for anything else. My credit status:

Active accounts:
    Amex Blue, 7500/12.99% opened 4/01
    MBNA Plat PLus Visa, 6000/14.99% opened 9/00
    Discover Platinum, 6000/14.99% opened 7/00
    Citibank Plat Select MC, 2200/12.99% opened 5/00
    Providian Gold Premier Visa, 3100/18.99% opened 1/00
    Car loan, 18K/10.99% opened 2/01

Closed accounts:
    Associated Visa, 1250/~27%, opened 2/00 closed 3/01
    CapOne MC secured, 200/19.99% opened 9/99 closed 8/00
    Secured personal loan, 3K, opened 5/00 paid off 2/01

Total length of credit history (since my first card): 20 months.

Hope this helps...

PS: I'm quite impressed with Amex already, I placed my application Tuesday 24 and my card arrived Saturday 28. Plus they called just to welcome me (of course, they asked for some balance transfer, but still it's nice...)

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Wow...that's great. Very impressive. You should be proud...doesn't seem like you have credit issue, what are your reasons for hanging around?? I ask this out of personal interest, for hopefully soon I too will at your point in credit and was wondering what you now utilize this board and site for.
    Again, great job!

AnnMarie

3. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Well, I read this mostly to keep up with new things, (i.e. to find out when TU and Experian decide to release their FICO scores, for example:)

And also, I've learned a great deal from this board and I'd like to contribute something back if I can...

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

sorin, congratulations on getting Blue. I've had Blue for a year and a half now and Amex has been great in working with me to resolve my problems. I got Optima Platinum in February and I'm thinking about going for the Gold or Platinum charge card next year.

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Congrats Sorin. I'm so happy for you.

Dani

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrats Sorin, I hope to be blue someday soon as well, for now I am happy with the green:)

Mom

7. Saar

Saar Banned

More power to you, Sorin! You'll find the Blue an excellent card. If you've been following this board, you know you can have your credit limit reevaluated within the first 30 days (by New Accounts dept), and your APR reduced (by a CS supervisor/Retention agent) to 10.9% (The 9.9% rate is no longer available).

But given the situation, I trust you're very happy w/ your Blue as it is. Don't forget to strech your balance close to the limit once, so that the "high balance" figure on your report doesn't show you as having a ratio problem.

Saar

8. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Saar, this means they report only the highest balance? Sort of like Citibank and Cap One?

Anyway, the limit is fine, the APR coud use some work, but I can live with it as it is... I don't think I want to stretch the limit, this would mean 7k balance, basically deep trouble

9. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Sorin, congrats on the AMEX Blue.

Hey, I sure liked your comments about sticking around. I am at the end of my credit repair and am going prime after 7 months on the board. I thought about dropping out but the board is still kind of recreational. See you around.

10. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Congrats Sorin. I received my Blue a couple weeks ago. I am in love with Amex. Customer service is awesome and the benefits are unmatched. I ordered my smart card reader over the weekend and was told it would take 5-7 business days. I received it today by fedEx. That's service. Enjoy!! :)

11. dd

dd Member

Congrats, Sorin!

I'm glad to see someone with less than a 2 yr. credit history get an AMEX lending product. It aggravating that everytime I'd post about AMEX, people would snap back "You need at least 2 yr. credit history, blah, blah, blah!"

What kind of balances did you have on your cards when you applied? Also, what was you credit score (Equifax or Eloan?)

Thanks-

dd

12. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Miles, I've ordered my reader tonight, let's see how long it takes to get to me :))

DD, you're right, I'm living proof that the 2 year rule doesn't always apply. And even more, I got preapproved offers for Amex green for quite some time now (since the beginning of the year). As for my balances, about 4000 total with about 17k credit lines. Equifax score was 682 at the beginning of march. After getting the Amex Blue, it dropped to around 660.

Hope this helps

13. dd

dd Member

Thanks, Sorin.

I was curious about the balances because I really want to apply, but I owe $3500 total on two credit cards($23K total credit of all cards). I thought AMEX would think that's too much!

This is DEFINITELY a positive post!

-dd

14. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Congrats...keep hanging around to give the rest of us "credit challenged" folks some inspiration...I wish someone/something had "taught" me about credit when I was in college and got those "hey, even though you are on scholarship and don't have a job, sign up for this CC and we'll give you a free T-shirt" offers...Talking about a downward spiral...The Internet and boards like these have definetly made a positive difference in my life...

Hurricane