Possible Collection/Judgement

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nicholas, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Guest

Hello...

I had a Wachovia CC charge off in late 1999. I had been making monthly payments to Wachovia between $50 - 125 over the past year or so through their internal collections department. I currently owe about $3700. They recently referred my account to an attorney's collection office because my monthly payments were not satisfactory to them. This attorney's office attempted to get me to settle for about $2900. I am a student, I have no job or major assets, I will be done with school in about a year, I want to pay this debt off, but I can only afford monthly payments of $50-100. The attorney collection office was very rude and asked about my religious faith, other credit cards they see on my credit file, etc. The Collection agent said that they were trying every avenue prior to suing me. I really cannot pay them their lump sum..only payments as I stated. At this point, any ideas what will happen next? Is this just a scare tactic? If I get sued, what next? The collection agent wouldnt even tell me her mailing address...she said..."it's in a letter that we sent to you...look it up" I am assuming that she sent the letter to my parents home. Any ideas or suggestions or speculations? I am worried.

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Possible Collection/Judgem

I think I would keep trying to pay the original creditor. If you get served, go to court, and take proof that you are paying/attempting to pay. But by all means SHOW UP if you get served. If you don't show up, they get a judgment by default. If you do show up, the court will make them work with you.

breeze

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I remember posting to a similar situation a couple months ago. I believe Wachovia had worked out a payment plan of $125 per month and the person posting could not continue to make those payments. Being a college student is there a reason you're not working and going to school, too? I'm not trying to be rude just an honest question.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Author: breeze (digital-1-33.exis.net)
    Date: 04-12-01 11:18

I think I would keep trying to pay the original creditor. If you get served, go to court, and take proof that you are paying/attempting to pay. But by all means SHOW UP if you get served. If you don't show up, they get a judgment by default. If you do show up, the court will make them work with you.

breeze

Reply To Message ===If payments are being made how can there be legal grounds to collect the entire balance??

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

On what legal basis can any collection company ask about religious
    beliefs? If they call again, tell them you're recording the conversation
    from the beginning - and do it!

They must be breaking some law when they ask questions like that!

Marci