Possible judgement question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by edoggie, Sep 24, 2002.

1. edoggie

edoggie Well-Known Member

I have an account being assigned to Wolpoff and Abramson in MD for collection. They sent a collection notice to my residence of almost 10 years ago in MD. I now live in another state.

I'm disputing the debt of course but if they decide to seek a judgment in Maryland can't I have it vacated because the law states they must file in the state where you currently reside and doing so otherwise is illegal ? Maybe I could even countersue for them breaking the law. I don't have this law in front of me but I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. A creditor cannot file judment in a state OTHER than the one in which you reside.

I'm making this a big deal becuase you guys said Wolpoff and Abramson were extremely hard to deal with and will sue. So I'm trying to get a heads up.

2. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

THey must serve you where you currrently reside {if they know the address}. But, they may file the lawsuit in Md. where the transaction as it were occured. This is different from credit card debt. The plantiff can sue in their venue.