possible phone scam in CA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eener, Jun 5, 2000.

1. eener

eener Guest

The other day I received a phone call offering me a credit card with a $2500.00 limit, 13.99% interest. Since I am in the process of cleaning my credit, this was a very exciting prospect. They told me that I had applied within the last 12 months, and the only "catch" was that I had to pay the deposit of $318.00 by June 13th. "Which day would I like the draft to post on?" Stupid me was so excited about the great card that I was reaching for my check book when my friend, who loves this site and has successfully cleaned her credit, stopped me. She figured it was a creditor and she interupted my call. After I told her about the great card, she told me what a scam it was and how could I give these people my account number. "But, but, I want the card." So I asked the guy, (Yes YOU, Jason)if I could mail a deposit and could he please give me the address and phone number of the company. He proceeded to give me an address and phone number and once again asked me for the checking account #. I agreed to get off the phone with my friends persistance, but I wanted that card. I told the guy to call me back after I was able to confirm the company was for real. I called the "Customer Service" number and got a recording saying it was closed. No company name, just "You have reached Customer Service"

Long story short, he called me back 2 days later and I asked him for the terms and conditions in writing, and he kept telling me I would receive them with my card after I paid the deposit. Other excuses included; they don't have anything on paper and couldn't print it from the computer; they are only authorized to send it with the card (after the deposit was paid), however, he could tell me all about it on the phone. Persistant for the terms in writing, the gentleman hung up on me.

The lessons I've learned, for those who haven't:
    A. NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT #
    B. If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.
    C. Good cards come to those who wait (and learn to use credit wisely)

Thanks for listening-

PS Their info, for those who care:
    Direct Credit Services
    7660 S. Tamiani Ste. C
    Sarasota, FL 34231

Attn: Jason
    (940) 924-8829