Pounded by Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Toothman, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

Will some of you senior members and experienced pro's let me know how to handle this one?

My good friends at Providian are wreaking havoc with my credit reports. There is an entry for Providian Bancorp that states the following:

Opened: 1/96
    Date of Last Activity: 5/96
    High Credit: 0
    Balance: $344
    Charged Off Account
    Closed by Grantor
    Previous Payment History: 2 times 30 days late, 1 time 60 days late, 3 times 90+ days late
    Previous Status: 11/96 R9, 10/96 R5, 9/96 R4

Now, it appears that Providian reports every single month.

To be honest, I "think" I received this credit card and was appalled by all the initial fees and never used it. I believe the $344 is the initial fees with late charges and such. The short time between "account open" and "last activity" would support that.

I called Providian and they said that my account was so old that they would have to have someone call me back. No one has called.

My question:

Should I dispute with the CRA's? I feel this won't work because it will popup the very next month. The fact that they have reported every month supports this.

Should I claim it is incorrect? This is true, but I am afraid it will just come back as verified.

Should I call Providian again and try to convince them that there was a mistake and pay them and try to get them to remove the listing?

What do you all think?

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Yep, good old oversized providian. I would ask them for proof of the debt/your name on a contract agreeing to even use one of their pitiful cards. I had very good responses after working internally. It took many phone calls and many letters. Be polite and ask for supervisors. Try to speak to the attorneys who represent them. These tactics worked very well in disputin sears and discover card for me!

3. Toothman

Did you have a similar situation with Providian then?

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Providian's credit reporting issues are handled by their Account Maintenance Dept.

Here's the direct fax # for that department: (817)524-1687.

Saar

5. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

I used planetfeedback to file a complaint on how Providian was reporting a charged off account I had with them. I had paid the account of last year. Well, they now updated the account as Paid charge off. I dont thing this is any better.

Mike G.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

its a little bit better. It will be a BIG BLACK MARK on your report until the day it falls off (7 years from DLA)..

7. Toothman

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Do you think they would consider rehabilitating the card after all this time. If I paid them and explained the situation, that is.

8. Toothman

Also, do you think I should be disputing with the CRAs at the same time?

9. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

I received a providian card 3 years ago, with a 7.9% fixed rate on transfers AND purchases. I have had no trouble so far with them. But, since First USA raised my 9.9% fixed rate, I don't trust any of them. My fear is when I get my statement this month(and every month from now on)that the interest rate will be raised. I still think these CCC's just pick people at random to raise or lower their rates. There is no logical reasoning behind it.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Why pay What you don't owe?????

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

from59

The don't have reasons just excuses!

12. Toothman

To answer your question, I may very well owe it. I need to get proof of the charges. If they are only fees that they have been churning all this time, then I think I have a legitimate gripe with them. At any rate, I think I know what to do now. Thanks everyone.

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I could easily charge $3344 in 4 months let alone $344 :) I think that you need to go through your statements to prove you NEVER used the card and that the $344 is late fees and charges for a card yu never used...

Did you EVER activate it by calling the 800 # that is sent with the card? I have heard this hapenning with Providian and CapOne as well...you NEED to make sure the card is closed before assuming is is closed or late fees and charges will accummulate.

-Dave