Preselect from Chase Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I received a preselect from Chase Platinum. I know it's not a pre-approval. My question is, with my new 642 Equifax score, should I try to apply for this card or any other card that offers balance transfers? And if the answer is yes, who should I try?

I have: Providian, Cap One, Associates, Retailers. Already tried with denials: Citibank, Amex green, Newport News (FCNB), First USA. It's been more than 60 days since my denials so I can't ask them to "review" my applications.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ble103

ble103 Guest

Re: Preselect from Chase Plati

Chase requires these scores for their credit cards,and these are minimums only

650 for their classic

670 for their gold

690 for their platinum

This will help answer your question on wether to apply,or not.

3. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

You can have the score but if you have negatives (collection/CO), they'll turn you down in a flash, at least they did me

4. Shantel

I don't have any negs on my Equifax report (Thanks Junum). I have one account that had a late pay from 97 but it's paid off now.

And thanks ble103.....that's very good info to have. Anyone else have any "close to prime" cards that I may be able to get with decent credit lines to do balance transfers? I'm looking at those who use Quifax ONLY!

By the way, my denials were pre-Junum.

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Chase - Transunion

Since Equifax is your best report, I hope that's what Chase pulls for you.

In my case, however, they pulled Transunion. In fact, it was after hearing that Chase would probably pull Transunion that I applied. By far, Transunion is my best report.

Good luck.

Donna

6. AnnMarie

Re: Chase - Transunion

That Platinum Select balance is a smokin' deal---at least for us. I don't know which they pull however.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes
    AnnMarie

7. Aux

Aux Well-Known Member

Re: Chase - Transunion

Hi,

I applied for Chase in Jan 2001, they pulled TU on me. I live in NY.

Hope this helps.

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Chase - Citi

Get a citibank. Its by far the easiest prime card.

Folks are still getting them here with Major derogs on their record (dunno why, so dont ask).

Almost anyone with a few cards can qualify for their platinum select product. The APR is decent (not GREAT), and they have balance transfers.

I think no other Prime card is as easy to get cept the citibanks. If i find one i'll be sure to apply :)

9. Shantel

Thanks Sam...for the info, but Citibank denied me earlier this year. I don't know what CR they pulled, but I know they said, "Nopers dear heart".

Any other suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I thought about going to my credit union or my bank because they are both in this area and focus in this area. They'll probably pull Equifax, but I'm looking for instant and not "wait and see".

10. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

I think Bank Of America pull equifax.

11. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

Hi Shantel,

Here are the banks that have pulled my equifax report over the past year. First USA, Citibank, Amex, Suntrust(their cards are actually MBNA cards). I live in Atlanta.

12. Shantel

Thanks Jugnoo....that's exactly the kind of info I need. And Geo...thanks for the Bank of America info. I'm right here in Charlotte and I didn't even THINK about them. Pretty sad huh?

I applied online with Bank of America a few minutes ago and they said my app was pending..to check back tomorrow.

I've applied to First USA but not in the last year. Citibank was a no and Amex was a no. If I'd acted a few days sooner, I would have still been in my 60 days and would have been able to have Amex review my app. I was going to try my credit union, but I'm going to use them for an auto loan in the summer and decided that I didn't want to tap into them just yet. I haven't tried MBNA...but aren't they hard to get?

P.S. Keep your fingers crossed with BofA....I'm trying to transfer my Providian MC (with no grace) to them so I can cancel the card. I've only had that MC for 6 months....ready to abandon it already. I have a Providian Visa that I like and a Cap One that I'll keep too.

Thanks folks!

13. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Good luck with B of A. I've heard that they are difficult to obtain, especially if you aren't a customer already. I would definately keep Am/Ex as a future goal to obtain but LEAVE FIRST USA ALONE! They are crooks.

14. AnnMarie

First USA

Yes, please, leave them very much alone! They are the only experience I have had where I was actually "ripped off" and I wish I had been informed and able to prevent it--they taught me a lot that's for sure!
    am

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: First USA

Shantel,
    That's what happen to me when I apply on-line for Bank Of America Plat Visa card. They told me they will email me the reponse. They notify me in email that I was approved.

16. Shantel

Bad news....BofA pulled my Trans Union report...what the??? They must be having a "sale". At any rate, they said no because of my foreclosure that's still on there. Junum hasn't worked on that one yet. Hmmmm. I don't like that ONE bit!

Anyhow, another WASTED inquiry...but at LEAST it wasn't on my Equifax report. Thank God for small favors.

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Shantel,
    Bank of America pull TransUnion on my MC application and Visa application on my Equifax. I'm sorry to hear that they denied you.

18. Shantel

Thanks Ron....hate that. I probably picked the MC because I have a few Visas already. Isn't THAT funny! Anyhow, I'll continue on my credit-repair crusade and hopefully soon, I won't care what CR anyone pulls.