Prime 5.50%...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GEORGE, Oct 15, 2001.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen any signs of lower rates on NON VARIABLE accounts?

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Great question. No, I haven't, and I can guess why.

I believe that certain banks like Providian with fixed rates were taking a hit (as they see it) when their cost of funds was higher. Now that short-term rates (prime rate, etc.) are lower, they want to (as they see it) make up for lost profits.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

The only downward movement on fixed apr. that I have seen is on my Capital One Platinum card. I called 2 weeks ago and offered to do a balance transfer "if and only if" they would lower my fixed apr. from 11.9% to 9.9.% on purchases and the BT.

In regard to Providian - I think that they are headed for more financial trouble as the economy slows down. Providian is truly a subprime lender and will probably be writing off more bad debt.

Nextcard may be in the same position as Providian.

Jim

4. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Well, George, I spoke to your two favorites yesterday...NextCard refused to budge from 12.99, so I transferred the balance and hid the card in the sock drawer. Discover went to a 9.9 "promo" until March on purchase rate, with a balance transfer at 1.9. At this point, I am not paying anything higher than 9.9.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

First USA lowered my apr on my Platinum (closed) account...believe it or not! I did not ask for this and this is the 3rd time they have done it. It's now at 11.9% fixed.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

MP$40 - That is very encouraging. Not a bad rate at all.

I don't like to carry a balance on a credit card but at 9.9%, Capital One is my card of choice.

When I got the following cards, I was lucky to get them as my credit profile was not too good.

Providian Gold
    GM card
    Nextcard Platinum

These cards constitute $11K of the $48K in revolving credit that I have available to me. These cards will also be cancelled at a later time as I now have too much credit. But first I want the FICO points that reportedly are given to us when an account ages past the 1 and 2 year points.

Jim