Prime Cards here I come... Chase:)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BrettS, Sep 8, 2003.

1. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

I am so happy right now... I just got approved for a Chase Platinum Mastercard with 0% interest on balance transfers and purchases until 9/04 and then it goes to 6.99% variable:) They only gave me a credit line of $500, but once I get the card I'm going to call and see if they'll raise it if I tempt them with a big balance transfer... I have a personal loan with a balance of like $5500 and an interest rate of like 25% that I would love to move over. Frankly, though, this is my first card with a company other than the likes of Cap1, Providian and Cross Country, so I'm happy to get anything they're willing to give me. I was really hoping for a CL of $2000 so I could close my Cross Country account, but at least I'm on my way:)

Does anyone have a good contact number at Chase or any tips for me to ask for a CL increase when I get the card?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. annie

annie Well-Known Member

Were you approved online instantly?

3. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

do a search for chase retention #

4. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

No, I got a prequalified (not preapproved) letter in the mail and applied online last week. I got the message saying that my application would require further consideration and that they would mail me the results. I got impatient today and called the 800 number from their web page and was given another 800 number to call to check on application status. (I'm at work right now, so I don't have the number in front of me). The woman I spoke with there told me that my application was still pending, then she said "hold on while I connect you with an underwriter so we can process this now". The underwriter came on and confirmed my mother's maiden name and household income, then he put me on hold for about 5 minutes and finally came back and said "You've been approved for a $500 credit line". In retrospect I probably should have asked that guy for a CL increase, but I was still in shock about being approved;)

They pulled my TU report and last time I checked (about a week ago) my TU score was 671. Besides this inquiry I had 5 other ones within the past 3 months (I'm shopping for a mortgage). I had two 60 day lates from January of this year and one 30 day late from May. (Frankly, I'm a little surprised I got approved with that, but hey... I'll take what I can get) ;)

Brett

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK!!!

6. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

I just got approved w/ Chase in the last week w/ a $2k limit. I called up cust svc and stated that I wanted to take advantage of the BT offer, but my CL wasn't enough to cover anything that I wanted to transfer. They immediatly, on the spot - DOUBLED the CL to $4k. You might try this tactic.

I know BofA was the same way with me last year. I had a pre-approved letter for up to $5k, so the max I was expecting was of course, $5k. Well, I did a BT and the card was approved for $7.5k.

IMO, I think that doing BTs makes them a little more willing to give you a higher CL initially. Let us know if this works.

Marc