Privacy Guard

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nave, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I just called Cap One to check on something in my last statement, and after pushing many buttons I reached a human being :) who was very helpful and finished our conversation with an expected sales pitch.

This one was for something they call Privacy Guard and has a 3 month trial period for some packet of "useful" credit reporting and investigating material. I understand it is supposed to report to me any activity on my credit report. If I like what service Privacy Guard performs, I will be billed $60 a year after the trial period. I decided to have them send it out since she assured me I could cancel within 90 days and it would cost nothing.

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried this "Privacy Guard"?

If so, what good is it? What exactly does it do?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks. - Dave

2. Saar

Saar Banned

Privacy Guard is one of the worst, and some of their credit checks are coded as hard inquiries.

If you want a reliable monitoring service by TransUnion, check this:

http://www.creditability.com

It monitors your TransUnion report, e-mails you within minutes after your report changes, allows you to view changes online, pull 2 complete online credit reports, and even DISPUTE ONLINE!!!

Since TransUnion is the main CRA is my state, I don't regret joining them.

Saar

3. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Thanks Saar,
    I am cancelling PG as I type this response. -Dave

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Actually after calling to cancel, I learned that no inquiries at all will be done without my consent which I have not given until I return the forms that were sent to me, so I am going to read up on what exactly they are going to do to my report as far as inquiries.

The rep informed me that what PG does is only monitor my credit report and notify me when inquiries to my report are made, items are changed or new items appear. They also offer unlimited access to my reports (whatever that means) throughout the year I have signed up. Since I get 3 months free, I figure at least I will get my CR from the 3 major agencies out of this anyway. I know this is accessable by other means, but I have not taken the time to investigate how, so I figure this will provide me with that access.

-Dave

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Nave wrote:
    "Actually after calling to cancel, I learned that no inquiries at all will be done without my consent"

Of course, but if you're not giving them your consent to monitor your credit, what's the point in hiring a credit monitoring service?

Saar

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Its free for 90 days :)

You got me Saar. -Dave

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I tried Privacy Guard before they took long time to sent triple bureau report. I sent a couple of request forms they get lost inside the companies. They cancelled my subsciption after 3 months without no reasons. Right now I had consumerinfo.com and I can view on-line. It took a day or two for them to pull credit files and post it on the secured web sites.