Private Student Loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Okay, here's the dilema....

I'm looking to get a private student loan....but they GOTTA pull from Equifax.

Anyone got one (or know someone who has one) and knows who they pulled from?

I already tried Citibank (funny, they pulled from Equifax for my cc back in Jan, oh well) and I was denied. I have Privista so they didn't pull from my Equifax.

I don't want to use a co-signer if I can get away with it.

Thanks folks!

2. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

My son got a PLATO loan. These people are worse than loan sharks. Stay away from them. They make collection agencies look good.

I do not know who they pulled from.

3. Shantel

I looked into them Tom and thanks for the heads up. However, I'm considering them, only because I'd consolidate it the first chance I get. What's your son's APR, if you don't mind me asking.

4. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I just got one from BankOne at www.educationone.com I had no probs with them. They were really nice and their interest rate is 9.17%. You can apply up to 30K a year and they send the check directly to you and not the school. Hope this helps.

5. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

J:

What was your score if you don't mind saying and what was their credit process.

Did you need a cosignor?

Thanks A bunch!

Cyprigirl:)

6. Cyprigirl

One more thing what report did they pull?

7. Shantel

Thanks for asking that before I could Cyprigirl!

8. Cyprigirl

No problem I am curious as you are because I have had a hard time getting alternative loans for my school, thank God my parents have helped me.

9. jfpruitt

My FICO score was 682. But, I needed a cosigner. Not b/c of my credit they said, but, b/c I had to much debt and b/c I didnt make enough money. Hehe. I was trying to get 30K and I only make 25K. You have to at least make the amount per year that you are asking for. So, I ended up asking my bro to cosign and he passed with ease. I'm planning to refinance next year under my own credit w/another company that has a lot less interest. I forgot to mention that wellsfargo.com also has a private loan where they give the money to the student and not the school. I went with Bank One instead though. They offer up to 25 years I think and they have deferrment options just like the federal Loans....let me know if you decide to go with them....

10. Cyprigirl

You had a 682 and still needed a cosignor, they don't sound to good and if your brother had great credit, I don't see how that solves any problems here.

Anyway, Shantel, try Key Bank, they are the ones that got me on this drive to seriously improve my credit.

They will allow you to a 1 paid collection and as long as you have no new lates chargeoffs or collections in the past 2 years. You will most likely get the loan. They told me this when I had a 523 score. So if you can meet those requirements and you have a way better score than mine, you should be able to get it. They give me 60 days or I have to reapply.

I have manged to boost my score to 582 and I am done 3 old paid charge offs and 4 collections but three of those collections are coming off in a month. So my score will hopefully be much improved by end of July.

Good Luck I understand what you are going through.

Cyprigirl :)

11. Cyprigirl

Oh one more thing, they pull Equifax, so if lyou ook really good on that one, you should be able to get the loan.

Good Luck!

12. Cyprigirl

If you really look good on Equifax, go for it!

13. Shantel

Cyprigirl...love ya love ya love ya! Thanks! I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. By the way, do you have a link or web address?

Also, Jpruitt....was Bank One recommended by your school or did you find them on your own?

Last time I checked, Wells Fargo pulls from Equifax also (well they did when I tried to get a cc).

I tried to go with Amex but they only deal with specific schools so that's why I'm asking jpruitt.

Thanks!

14. Cyprigirl

15. jfpruitt

No, I found it myself. I have to go with a private loan b/c my school doesnt participate in the federal ones. I went to Wells Fargo, Bank One, and Plato. I heard alot of bad things about Plato, so didnt go with them. Wells Fargo didnt have the options I wanted, so I choose Bank One. If I'm not mistaken Key and Fleet also have student loans that go directly to the student. Worth looking into. I've checked many of them out and those are the only ones I could find that go to the student and not the school. I'm not sure which reports they pull though. I'm sure you could call and ask them. They are really nice. Good Luck, Let me know how it goes.

16. Shantel

You know...you gals are the greatest. I've bookmarked Key Bank and will call them tomorrow. I have one collection on my Equifax (that I'm HOPING to have off soon!) and my score is 651. Everything else is CLEAN as a whistle.

So I'll definately be in contact with them. Wells Fargo pulls Trans Union (no go). And Bank One pulls Experian (nope). I'll check Plato also (I know, I heard bad things also, but if I get it and consolidate through someone else, I might be able to deal with them).

Thanks folks for all your help!

17. Cyprigirl

Oh then I think you should definitely be able to get the loan, check out access loans, I think if you have a minimum score of 620 you can be approved by Access.

I think you will be fine, however, I don't know which report they pull?

18. Shantel

Access? Is that with Key Bank? I was at their site and they pay the funds to the school. I know jpruitt is being paid directly. I don't know if I want to have to deal with the school to get my money.

I'd already talked to the Financial Aid office and they said 2 weeks after classes start, refund checks are mailed....I'd prefer to have mine before then.

19. jfpruitt

I'm not sure what Access is...but I know I DON'T want to deal with my school's FAO. They were in trouble a couple years ago for money laundring and now they won't accept any outside Financial Aid, so, I'm just going to get my own. One thing I liked about Bank One is that they dont care what you do with the money as long as your in school. One guy told me I could buy a car if I wanted, they didnt care. As long as I make my payments. So, I'm going to consolidate some of my high interest CC w/them and have one bill instead of 20 plus go to school. I'm happy with them. After I pay for about 6 months, I'm going to consolidate again with CFS loans and get an even lower interest rate of 8.2. I've got it all planned out I hope.

20. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

My son's interest rate started at about 8%. It just jumped to about 12%. He has been out of school about 1 1/2 years.

We plan to consolidate.

Do not deal with these people. You will regret it.