Private Student Loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Why doesn't he consolidate?

2. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

Who Bank One or Access?

3. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

The interest rate on the Government loans was not that much different from the PLATO loans until about a month ago. Then the government loans went down and the PLATO went way up. Now it is worth consolidating.

Also, until recently, I did not know it could be done. I picked that up on this board and got the info here last week on where to go to consolidate. I plan on doing it this week.

One question. PLATO destroyed his credit. He did not make payments for four months while an extension was pending. This was based on their statement that no payment was due while an extension request was pending. Then, they denied his extension request (because he was four months late) and sent it to a collection agency. I paid that loan off, leaving him with one more PLATO loan. Will that affect his chance of consolidating his PLATO loans with his government loans? Do they check credit?

4. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

try cfsloans.com they are really nice and have all kinds of loan consolidation options

5. Shantel

I can't do Bank One. My school isn't one of the approved schools :(

On to Key Bank I guess....I just don't want the money sent to the FAO. I may not have a choice.

6. Shantel

Good news. I was approved for a 15k private student loan with Marquette Bank. It's a bank that was preferred by my school. No payments while in school, APR in school is 7.43% and 8% during repayment.

7. lmckenzie

lmckenzie Well-Known Member

Shantel

CONGRADULATIONS-

O.K tell me what did they say as far as credit was concerned.....I still haven't heard from Key so I am counting that as a NO......but anyway girl....LET ME KNOW !!!!!

Thanks
    Keisha

8. Shantel

Re: Shantel

Well first, I didn't go through Key Bank. I used Marquette Bank. They didn't say anything as far as my credit was concerned. I used my mother as a co-signer (she doesn't know yet, but hey, what she doesn't know, won't hurt her ;-)...just kidding!).

They only said that I increased my chances of being approved by using a co-signer. I applied online and was sent a status letter saying I was approved. Nothing more.

Good luck with Key girl! Keep those fingers crossed!

9. lmckenzie

Sweetie....what's the website. i will get my mom to sigh that will be the nly way i get it

10. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Shantel, I wish you the best.

Cyprigirl :)

11. Shantel

http://www.loansforcollege.com

They only lend to students from certain schools though. Hope yours is one of them.

12. lmckenzie

Shantel,

I am sorry to report that my school isn't even on the map. They don't deal with any schools in GA so I will have to go back to the drawing board.

I will let you know !!!

Keisha