Problem removing a collection.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Aharon, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Aharon

Aharon Member

I only have 1 collection on my 3 reports.. It's a PAID collection, from a year ago. When I paid the collection, they told me if I payed now it wouldnt show up on my credit reports.

The collection agent set it up so I could pay half right then, and half next month.. And confirmed it wouldnt go on my report. I would have never agreed to pay it if it was going to go on my report as PAID.

But, it showed up anyway :( Now I have been fighting with them for months to get it removed.. They tell me that thier system automatically reports me after 30 days.. And they dont care what the collection agent told me.

Is there anything I can do to get them to stand by thier words?

2. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

If you have it writing that they agreed to delete it, then send them a "final demand before lawsuit" letter. Just threaten them if they don't delete as the agreement states....... However, if you have nothing in writing, your only hope would be to dispute it with the credit bureaus.

3. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Two suggestions.

The same thing happened to me with NCO. The collector lied to get me to pay. I kept calling and asking for a supervisor and saying I want what was promised. I was nice, but persistent. I finally got someone who agreed they should do what they promised. It was removed. Took a lot of calls.

On another paid collection (this was not my account and I never paid it but it still showed up on my reports). I asked for a validation, using the Lizardking letter, certified mail, return receipt requested. I nicely told them I did not want to litigate this but would if necessary. They never responded, but they did delete immediately. I had a feeling they could not validate. Many creditors do not keep the records.

4. Aharon

Aharon Member

I keep asking for a supervisor.. They wont put one on the phone, all they say is they will relay the message and one will be calling me back. That started several months ago.. And still, no phone call from a supervisor..

Whats funny is, they act all suprised when I tell them I havent recieved a call back yet... "Well, thats never happened before!", or "He always returns his calls." ..

Apparently these guys keep records, cause they still have my info in thier system.. To what degree of info, I dont know.. I just know they know my name and that the charge is paid.

5. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Two more suggestions.

First, when you call asking for a supervisor, offer to hold until one is available.

Second, be a pain in the a**. Call every hour until they put you through to a supervisor. This has worked for me. You become such a PITA, that it is easier to deal with the problem than to keep dealing with your calls.