Providan gold vs smart chip

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kenny, May 12, 2001.

1. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

I don't see a difference between the Providian Gold card that everyone gets and the Smart Chip card besides that the smart chip does not have an annual fee. Can you guys tell me the difference? Is the smart chip a prime card? Would it be worth having both?

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

There's been some discussion about this in other threads recently. From what little information I know about the card I'd have to say it was prime.

Word is that current customers cannot switch to the smart card. I plan on paying my gold visa (limit $7,849) to zero. My mastercard (limit $1,650) has been there for a few months. Then I will call them and ask if I could upgrade. From what others have said here though I doubt I will be successful.

3. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

My girlfriend got the pre-approval from them yesterday. I notice when they sned you pre-approvals they start from the bottom and work their way up. They send 1st the gold with 300 limit, then if you don't respond the gold with 3,000 limit then the smart card. Well that's what happened in her case.