Providian $10 charge for online pay

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Sep 21, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Re: Providian $10 charge for online

I have a Chase Plat. Mastercard, and no, there is no charge for the service, it's complementary. Same goes for B of A Plat Visa.

2. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I have never regretted closing them out.
    AGAIN, they helped me out by reporting to all bureaus - but I had to ride herd on them :

I recall:

They jacked up my great credit limit at some point by $150! At the same time, they made it conditional that I bought $149 insurance policy! And had already charged me! NOPE - cancelled.

They only hit me with late fees once - but I had them at the height of the SF District ATTY investigation - so they removed that without an issue.

BUT - I was a great, non-interest paying customer...hmmmmm....when I got notice they were gonna jack up my rate to something like 24% if I didn't tell them it was not acceptable and I could close the account!

Snip snip snip! Credit reports say R1 paid - closed by consumer request!

I have not lost sleep!
    c ya dogman

3. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

Re: :-(

I think MP$40 hit the nail on the head!!!! I will pay via BofA homebanking. Yes, they have to cut a check and mail it to Providian just like I would but..... they guarantee the payment will be received within 5 business days or they are responsible for the late fee. I have had a few instances where an EFT payment was never received by the payee. BofA has always immediately followed up and the fee was reversed. I guess BofA has always been able to prove it was the payees fault

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Okay poeple get those fingers typing, we should bombard them through PF. I am sure it won't matter much, however we should set a day and everyone send their letters to them and tell them exactly where they can stick that fee, in a nice way of course LOL. What a surprise they will get with all those letters pouring in on the same day he he.

They are my oldest tradeline and almost my lowest rated, citi may have them beat this month, so I do love my rates and haven't had any problems with them up until now of course. I guess it's back to mailing my payments b/c I do have a bit of a balance.

5. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Yea they are our oldest at 38 months and citi is send ing there money now..To bad they dont know how to hold onto there godd customers..

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RELATIONSHIP ENDING PRACTICE!

Look how frosted people are about this CREATIVE new way for Providian Financial to make money - without the DA being on their tails. They closed down one building in SF a couple of months back.
    It is still vacant.

Accept it or not Providian cardholders, now there is another fee attached to their cards, one that is POSSIBLE to escape, but most likely will trigger other charges.

Snail mail? Yes, but will it post on time? I think
    the last time I sent in my final payment - it had to go to Memphis, TN - when their corporate ofcs are in Pleasanton, CA - a suburb office park about 30 miles outside of SF.

Geez - they are ridiculous - and I am certain CCB
    will adopt it immediately.

later - dogman

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: RELATIONSHIP ENDING PRACTICE!

AS i said befor the due date must be replaced with a due month!!!!

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

ANOTHER WAY THEY COULD MAKE $$$

I figure they can soon charge a "service charge" if one ever needs to "dispute" a charge.

They probably would dispute one for free, then $25 for any additional disputes as long as one held the card. That would cut down on those Christmas returns!

c ya dogman

9. lbrown59

Re: ANOTHER WAY THEY COULD MAKE $$$

This would really open up the old money chute for them. All they would have to do is add more errors to your bills!

10. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

A few things.....

I paid Providian over the weekend using the online pay and it did not note anything about a service charge- has this been implememented yet?

Also, Yahoo! Billpay is FREE and uses the checkfree system. I use it for almost all my cards most of the time- you can pay ANY MC/V through them for FREE.

The Yahoo system takes 4 days to process/post payment but the Providian system is next day.

ALSO- when I pay by Providian, it comes out of my checking account instantly. When I pay using Yahoo Billpay it takes a day or two to come out of my checking account.

Shawn

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Shawn, you will get the change in terms from Providian in your next paper statement. I didn't see it on the site either, but I got it in the mail.

12. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Ya i got it today..Gee any way to make a buck..I hope they lose atleast 15% of there good customers because of this because they lost me and a few of you here i see.

13. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Where in your statement did you get it? I got my statement yesterday, and looked for it. Was it a seperate insert?

14. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

Got mine today. It was in the Aria/Get Smart statement. This sucks because I pay online multiple times in a month. I'm at the point where I must keep both Providian cards because they are 80% of my availible credit. I'm paying off Aria today. It doesn't make a difference in sending a PFB letter to ARIA because it's now just routed to the regular customer service people via email. They tell you to use there secure methed of sending information on the website. Basically nothing gets accomplished through this method. Not sure about regular Providian cards. Heres what the little leaflet said:

If you use our On-Request for Paysmart to make a single payment by phone or online from your personal checking account to your Account with us we may charge a fee of $9.95. This fee is a Finance Charge and will apply even if the payment is returned unpaid.

These changes will be effective November 5, 2001. If you live in IA, MS TX, WI, these changes will be effective January 1, 2002. If you like in WY April 1 2002

15. Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Their customer service told me to fax or mail them the insert that I got with my statement. She said she nor her supervisor knew anything about the 9.95 charge!

16. lbrown59

Eliminating the due date in favor of a due month would fix these problems!: