Providian and grace period

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Killer, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Killer

Killer Guest

Either I have a grace period or I don't understand how all this works. I've had the Gold Visa for three billing cycles. I've never been charged a finance charge. I use the card very frequently. Sometimes I carry the balance for a week or so then pay it off on-line. If I can't pay it off, I pay it down. Only once in the three months did I have a zero balance when the cycle ended. Now if I don't have a grace, shouldn't finance charges begin the day I make a charge?

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

I couldn't understand this, wouldn't you always have a balance if there is no grace, even if you pay in full? Wouldn't there be finance charges on the finance charges on your next statement and on and on? Please explain. I asked Providian to, got no response.

3. zip

zip Well-Known Member

I just called providian today to get a 25 day grace period.They gave it to me and also increasded my line another $1,000.She said that if I didnt pay my balance in full every month than a grace period would benefit me

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Killer--

based on what you've described, you must already have a grace period.

5. Killer

Killer Guest

Well I guess I do! I'll call them tomorrow and ask. Oh wait! Maybe I shouldn't call! What if am supposed to not have a grace and they have not been charging me accordingly! You see I remember when I was approved for the card the lady told me no grace!

6. miles

miles Well-Known Member

What is the number of days in your billng cycle (on your statement)? Does it say 25? If so, you are supposed to have a grace period. I am getting pretty frustrated here. I called Providian a while ago and inquired about a grace period. The rep stated they do not offer grace periods. I know she was either lying or not very knowledgeable. If people on this board are receiving grace periods, then I know it can be done. I am going to call them first thing in the morning and speak to a supervisor if I have to. I have been with them for 5 years. I think I deserve one!
    Killer, let us know what your statement reads. :)

7. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Hi there....

If You've been with them for 5 years, you definitely deserve a grace period...
    I've got one after only 1 year.

Don't waste time talking to the regular CSR.
    If you listen carefully to the option, you'll hear one for closing your account. This will get you directly to the retention department and somebody knowledgeable will talk to you... and I bet they won't let you go over a grace period