Providian(Aria) Vs Capitol One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by G. Weller, May 5, 2000.

1. G. Weller

G. Weller Guest

I just recently signed up for and recieved the Capitol One "Gold" card with a $200.00 limit and I am not at all thrilled right now. It seems they managed to put a $1.00 fee on my account that would end up costing me a $25.00 over the limit fee. I have had the Aria Persona card since 12/99 and they have never pulled anything like this. Not to mention Capitol One says I have to wait a year to ask for a Credit increase. My credit is really messed up and I heard somewhere that to re-establish my credit I needed atleast 2 crredit accounts But I feel like paying off the balance and closing this account. These were the only 2 cards I could qualify for on an Unsecured basis and I now have 18 inquiries on my report. What should I do? What would YOU do?

TIA
    Gary

2. russman

russman Guest

RE: Providian(Aria) Vs Capitol

aria cards suck..they wanted $89 processing fee and a $89 annual fee on top of that just to have their shitty card with a $500.00 limit....fug those rip-off artists..theyre out of their skull man!! Capital one sent me a visa classic with a $200 limit..i can deal with that....no million dollar annual fees.know what i mean?

3. BRIAN HATC

BRIAN HATC Guest

STAY AWAY FROM CROSS COUNTRY B

I AM STILL A CUSTOMER OF CROSS COUNTRY BANK.

BUT....I DON'T RECOMMEND THEIR SERVICE TO ANYONE. THEY HAVE GONE FROM GOOD TO BAD TO WORSE.

AS SOON AS I CAN I AM BAILING OUT.

4. Len

Len Guest

RE: STAY AWAY FROM CROSS COUNT

Wow! If Cross Country has gotten worse, they have really gone down the sewer.
    Wait! That's where I left them over a year ago. I wonder just how low Cross Country can sink into the stink of their own corruption.

5. heather

heather Well-Known Member

what was the $1.00 fee that put you over your limit?

6. Aria fan

Aria fan Guest

I disagree the high annual fees are the price you pay for bad credit. My first starting over card was from Capitol One. I requested a line increase. They gave me 100 dollars...woohoo. I have had the card for at least 8 months now and have kept the account clean. Aria onthe other hand started me out with a 500 which is now 1750 6 months later. You can call Aria and request that your APR be lowered and their checks over the phone are free unlike Capitol One...There is no doubt in my mind that I will be able to call and have my annual fee reduced as well

7. G. Weller

G. Weller Guest

The $1.00 fee was an authorization
    fee for either payplace.com or
    payme.com. Why?

Gary & christy heather wrote:-------------------------------what was the $1.00 fee that put you over your limit?

8. Russ

Russ Guest

aria fan.i dont have bad credit..thats why i thought they were nuts..i have a nextcard with not a single fee ever!

9. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: STAY AWAY FROM CROSS COUNT

Sorry about your experience with Cross Country. I started getting low end credit card offers about a year ago, and quickly recognized that Cross Country was in the business of "building credit," not granting credit. In other words, you build up a good record by paying mostly for fees, with very few purchases allowed. In such a situation, the quality of service is especially important, since you want a record of timely payments and no balances over your limit. The tipoff for me was the lack of a free customer service number, which indicates no great desire to help with any problems.

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

I have to agree with the general idea that Capital One is stingy with limit increases. They were my first posteviction card, at 200 dollars. I accepted because they had offered me "as much as 1000 dollars." Well, I was disappointed with 200, but wanted to break out of my one-card-only record. Since then, they have raised me to 300 at my request. The whole thing took about 5 months. But in the meantime, Providian started me at 500, took me to 700 after 4 months, and now wants a fee to grant me another 1000. Chase has started me at 1000, Citibank has raised me to 1500, and here's Capital One charging me 59 dollars a year for a 300 dollar balance. For
    your information, that's over 20 percent on my balance, on top of a 21 percent finance charge. Capital One is a way to build a record with a new card, and that's about it.
    I intend to pay them off in the next 6 months and then cancel. Their program is based on getting you maxed out on a small card and then charging annual fees forever, but it doesn't work since the limits are so low that even I can pay them off and cancel.

11. heather

heather Well-Known Member

just curious. Sounds like a charge YOU made that put you over the limit. Can't blame someone else for your mistakes.