Providian/Aria

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Doris K., Jul 11, 2000.

1. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

This question is for my daughter Diane.

Within the last few weeks, she received a Gold Visa from Providian National Bank with a $750 limit. It took more than two months for her to get it because they claimed they couldn't verify her phone number, so she had to mail them proof that she gave them a correct, working phone number.

A few days ago, she applied online for an Aria Visa, and was approved for the Persona card with a $500 limit. She later noticed a disclaimer on the site that mentioned that customers with other Providian products may not be eligible for the Aria card.

Does anyone out there have both, or will she most likely be turned down for the Aria offer?

I'm secretly hoping she'll be turned down. I don't give a damn what Providian calls that card, it looks to be about as subprime as Cross Country, and the rates are freakin' deplorable! Not only that, the physical card itself is just absolutely butt-ugly!

2. Mark

Mark Guest

Doris,

I believe Providian does have a policy of not allowing 2nd accounts within the same household, though only when they soliciate to you directly will they allow it. When they send her the card, simply have her call the 800 number to cancel the card, or they may call her first to verify information on her. As with all bankcard issuers, terms and conditions are based on credit history, or lack there of).

3. Stormie

Stormie Guest

I know alot of banks say this, but often they don't hold to it. I do know people who have several cards from providian, so she should have no problem. When the pulled her credit history they would have seen she already had an account with providian. Let us know what happens.

4. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: SUGESTION FOR YOUR DAUGHTE

If your daughter has a credit card already why not get her to go to some of the easier Dept. Stores like Target, Mervyns or Best Buy, and get a store card (usually instantly).

Once she has 2 credit lines open for about 6 months she then would easily get a major card from a respectible bank like Citibank, or BofA. One woman receintly posted that she got a visa from U.S. Bank ($3000 Limit) with only a cell phone on her report.

Unless she has bad credit don't use Providian except as a stepping stone!

5. Alice

Alice Guest

Madam:
    I suggest that she just stays away from Providian. I can tell you from my own experience that if she ever has problems with them in the future, they are not the nicest people to work with. I got two different credit cards when I was a student, and unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control (an injury that kept me from working) got into debt with both of them. While I easily managed to make small regular payments and eventually payed off everything with the other company, Providian was NEVER willing to work with me. My initial debt with them was less than 1,000 and today I owe them 4 times this value. They keep refusing my payment offers saying they are too small, but never stopped harassing me. I suspect they don't want me to pay so that interest rates will keep increasing this debt, and when I finally start my professional life they can get a larger part of my income. I know it may sound silly to worry about this things since we never intend to incur into debt when first getting a credit card, but I can tell you that I also never thought I would be in the situation I am today. Unfortunately we can't control everything and never know what the future brings, so it's better to be careful and take all aspects into account when considering a credit card.
    Alice

6. pat

pat Guest

I have had a Providian card for about 3 years . I have never had any problem with them at all and when I have called them to ask a question or 2 , they have been real helpful. So don't know about the others.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Doris,
    That happened to me and actually they did approve me online, called to verify and then I got a letter about 2 weeks later saying that I was declined based upon the fact that I had a Providian card already. So, it's definately possible that they'll deny her the card in the long run. Since that time about a year ago, I've dumped all subprime cards and moved on up. Providian though, is what helped me qualify for the AT&T Platinum Universal Card!

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Not always treu, I have a providian Aria and they solicted another card to me and then took it back

9. Stormie

Stormie Guest

I find that strange. You currently have the aria account and were sent a solicitation in the mail from Providian. You sent it in , and then they declined you, or did they send you the card and take it back ? I would think that if they approved you already they should have seen Providian Listed on your credit report. Did you contact them ? What did they say ?

10. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

She has bad credit. I have helped her remove most all of her bad credit lines by writing disputes and settling some collection accounts. However, she has far too many inquiries on her reports as well as too many open accounts. All but one of her open accounts are fairly new ones, and all in good standing with no late pays, but I've tried to tell her she just has too damned many! She's going to remain a sub-prime customer until she rides out the negative marks that are truly hers and when she cancels some of her cards.

I almost dropped of a heart attack when I had her list the cards she currently carries and her credit limits. They are:

Capital One Classic Visa-$200
    Capital One Gold Visa-$200
    Orchard Bank Mastercard-$1000
    Orchard Bank Mastercard-$1500
    Direct Merchants Bank Secured Mastercard-$500
    First National Bank Visa-$350
    First Premiere Bank Visa-$300
    Aspire Visa-$1750
    Amex Secured Optima-$200
    Providian Gold Visa-$750
    Target Card-$200
    Macy's Card-Unknown Limit
    Goodyear Card-$700
    American Airlines Credit Card-$1500
    United Airlines Travel Card-$1000
    Radio Shack Card-$1000

Fortunately, all but three cards have been paid down to a zero balance. She owes $900 to Aspire, $650 on one of her Orchard Bank cards, and $900 on the American Airlines card. She charges a little something on each card every month and pays it off.

While it's just over $11,000 worth of credit, even with all those accounts, I worry that it's just too much, and she's gone overboard.

Experts, which do you think she should get rid of and when?

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I had the aria card and then they sent me preapproval for their mastercard, I sent it in they gave me the card then closed my account b/c I already had the Aria card, and then they had the nerve to charge me an annual fee for the canceled card and when I didn't pay it, I mean I didn't have the card nor ever used it they reported me to the CRA for being 30 days late!!! I am still fighting this right now to get it off my records.

12. Stormie

Stormie Guest

I know people who have more then one providian account. I think you can only have one of each type of account. Who knows, it seems the rules change as they see fit. My friend who had applied online for an aria account recieved it in the mail the other day. And your right it is ugly. They really went all out on that design LOL. They gave her the portrait card, not sure about the limit, but she does have a regular account with them as well. Both of them are visa cards. Perhaps she'll be okay as one is aria and the other providian. She is afraid to use it now though because of all these posts, and the possibility of account closure. She really needs the extra funds right now. Her family is really going through some tuff times with medical issues. Any advice for her ? Should she go ahead and use the card, or should she hold out a few weeks ? Stormie