Providian blow off....:(

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marypc, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

I called Providian retention (again) to see if I can get the 23.99 APR lowered on my Visa. I got a $1k line increase last month, but only because I called and requested it, and even then, the rep told me not to expect another increase for a while. Thats ok, as the limit is now $3k. I've had the card since 5/00, perfect history, current bal is $1200.00.

Each time I call, I am told that the APR cant be reduced, but no one can tell me why. Apparently, they "system"wont let them offer me an APR reduction but doesnt give a reason. I know many people with Providian accounts, and they get increases fairly often (every 3-4 mo) and have also called and gotten APR reductions on the spot. I want to keep the card but I am concerned that multiple reps cant tell me why the account is not open to upgrade. I want to keep this card (unsecured) but I just dont seem to be getting the opportunities other people do. The rep today confirmed that the line increase has nothing to do with the APR situation. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I don't have this card, but from reading other posts on the board, perhaps they have a retention number. The ability of the general customer service reps varies to make changes and offer reductions varies from company to company, and usually in retention departments or at the supervisor level you generally have more success. I think the reduction is possible, but perhaps a different approach and by speaking to a different person.

Anyone have the retention number for Providian?

3. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Marypc,

You and I must be the unlucky two. I get the same crap every time I call. No deal with lowering the rate. Oh, pardon me... I take that back! They lowered from 20.4 to 19.4 last time. Big whoop!

I have 1/2 of the balance paid off and then I will keep the card since i've had the trade line for 7 years, but I WON'T use it anymore unless i pay ot off the next month.

J

4. once38

once38 Well-Known Member

800 215 7318 providian retention

5. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, but the retention number is the one I have been calling, and I have spoken to two supervisors already. It just makes me nervous that no one can tell my why the account is "frozen" in terms of getting a better deal. It's very frustrating. I'm with you, Judy, once the balance is paid off, the card goes in the bottom drawer and that's the last I want to see or hear of it other than on my reports.

Thanks again