Providian Card Holders

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Terry, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I am a new Visa Gold Cardmember of Provdian. I have a 25 day grace period, the dreaded 23.99% rate, ect. I have had my card since April.

I keep reading how people have received a lower rate on their gold card. Do you have to call and ask for it?

Do you have to call and ask for any upgrades or credit line increases?

I read one post where a cardholder received an upgrade to gold on their mastercard. Is the mastercard by invitation only? Can you request a gold upgrade?

Does anyone know how long it takes to start to receive upgrades automatically?

any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

You will get an increase every 121 days. So if you open your account in April you will get a increase in August. The amount is nominal(about 10% of your starting cl). After the second increase you will get an invitation to increase your line for either $500 or $1000 for a $49.00 fee.

The MC is by invite only, my invite occured about a month after my second increase.

The MC comes with a cl of $500-$1000 No grace and a high APR.

Some have posted here that a phone call to retention can have the $49.00 fee waived.

This assumes that you maintain perfect payments and no overlimit. Use the online payment service.

Best regards,
    Sam

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I got my mastercard after two years with Providian, and I was the one who posted about the gold upgrade a couple of weeks ago. I had to call to get it, and I had the card for 11 months at that point. The CL increase took effect the same day they said they upgraded me, but it's been two weeks and I still haven't seen the new card.

Increases come without you calling in, but my interest rate never moved until I started calling. You should call them every time you get an increase offer to ask them to waive the fee. I never knew you could do this and paid the fees all this time until this March when I found this board.