Providian & Collection

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MichelleF, Apr 17, 2000.

1. MichelleF

MichelleF Guest

I just received a letter in the mail from Providian that stated they "charged off" my account. We've had some really bad luck financially lately, so this couldn't be helped. This letter states that they are going to verify employment (which I'm not), all assets (there aren't any, but I am a co-signer on both of our car loans), bank accounts etc. My question is, our bank account is a joint account. My husband is our only source of income. Can these people take the money out of our bank account? Will they have to obtain a judgement first? Will they attach leins to our cars? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michelle

2. Kathie

Kathie Guest

They will have to obtain a judgement before any lien on assets can take place. Before that happens though I would think about banktrupcy. Starting over from a BK is a lot better than having to fear having your wages or assets seized. Also, if the account was in your name alone you might think about seperating your bank accounts or removing your name from the joint account.

3. Amy

Amy Guest

They cannot garnish wages from the "head of household" which is what they are implying.....nice scare tactic though.