Providian credit line increase

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Joan, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Joan

Joan Guest

I received my first increase with Providian in April 2000, when should I expect another one?

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Providian credit line incr

I think about four months later, which would be right about now.

3. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Yep, that's right
    About this time...
    I've got 2 increases by now, each one after
    about 3 billing cycles.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Here's my recent credit limit increase experience with Providian, a card that I have had since '96.

3/00 6700
    4/00 6900
    5/00 7900
    7/00 8000
    8/00 9000

These increases were unsolicited and given without fees. The last one was granted when I called not for a higher limit but to lower the interest rate and request a grace period for purchases (which they did without hesitation). I think the rate is still too high (19.8) but much better than the 23.99 this account had before. I've read posts on this board about people getting 16.8. I'll wait a while and then negotiate again.

I think if you pay on time, carry a balance from time to time (making the card profitable to the bank), Providian is very good about sweetening up the terms.

5. Rich Guy

Rich Guy Guest

Absolutely Amazing

That is absolutely amazing. It sounds as if they have (secretly) upgraded you to platinum status.

6. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

You don't have to carry a balance with
    Providian. They don't have a grace period
    so they slam you with finance charges even
    if you pay in full each time.

And i have advised one of my friends
    to renegotiate the terms and he got a 16.9%
    APR with no annual fee. He had the card for
    about 20 months and he pays in full most of
    the time.

7. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I had my limit at $11,300. I had used the card, but stopped because of the high interest rate 22+. I closed the account when they would not lower the rate. I know I carried a balance for at least a couple of months. This is the only card, I have had to cancel. Others have always made lower rate offers or given me a higher limit.

http://www.creditsense.com

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Oh really? Humm....

I have had my Providian Gold card with a $300 limit since June 2000 (so 4 billing cycles). I carried a balance of no more than $200 and no less than $60 (just to make them happy) and I just paid the entire balance of $198.50 off last week (just to get it out of my hair...didn't want to have finance charges added on). But since then I have chared $40. I have always paid way more than the minimum and when I get the bill in the mail, I send it right back out with a check (except for this last time I paid on-line...but still I paid right away). Where's my increase???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

9. Cadillac408

So, Where's My Increase?

Oh really? Humm....

I have had my Providian Gold card with a $300 limit since June 2000 (so 4 billing cycles). I carried a balance of no more than $200 and no less than $60 (just to make them happy) and I just paid the entire balance of $198.50 off last week (just to get it out of my hair...didn't want to have finance charges added on). But since then I have chared $40. I have always paid way more than the minimum and when I get the bill in the mail, I send it right back out with a check (except for this last time I paid on-line...but still I paid right away). Where's my increase???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

10. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: So, Where's My Increase?

I count three billing cycles at most if you got the card in June. Any company is going to be conservative about new accounts. Hang it there. The increases will come fast with this bank once you've been around a while.

11. Stormie

Stormie Guest

At first the increase are good. My son has had one of their cards for over a year now. They were good about increases at first. He has never had to pay, and recently recieved a lowered APR they came down 7% and no annual fee, But he hasn't recieved another increase on this account. He called and asked for an increase and they said he didn't use the account enough but would put in for a manual increase. All payments have been on time, and always more then the minimum. He is a bit angry at them. But since he recently got the rates changed hes gonna wait it out a bit. They told him to use his account more and he should see some good increases in the future. He's always kept a balance on the account too. Current limit is $2500 not bad, but he's like to see a line increase. Guess we'll see.

12. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

My very first increase from Providian took four and a half months to get. They advertise that you're ELIGIBLE after three months, but they take their time doing the grunt work of changing your credit limit.

Even after you get your first increase, remember that any progress after that depends on using the card (and probably on keeping balances on the account for a while.)

My card has been at over 90% at times, and never paid off in full. I've gone from $500 nine months ago to $2800 today, which is all the 23.99% credit I will ever want.

Dave may want all the credit he gets from them, since he's negotiated a better interest rate. But remember that his lower rates and higher limits took four years to achieve. I get impatient just like you, but I just make my payments on time (like you do) and wait. Whenever I feel stuck, I just remember that waiting got me where I am today.

13. Cadillac408

Your Right!

I'm sorry, your right about the billing cycles....it is 3. My bad!

14. A.C. Brown

A.C. Brown Guest

RE: Your Right!

Does three billing cycles means 3 month of paying your bill.

15. Love This

Love This Guest

I Got Mine

I opened my providian account on 4/00 with a $500 limit for $49. I have just received TWO increases. One unsecured for $200, and another for $99 for 1000 at the same time. Now my limit is at $1800 in four months. (The $99 is also added to your limit.) I used the card often, but I pay it all off over the course of a month. If you use it for things that you are normally going to pay for anyway, i.e. Gas, Food, etc, then go home and get online and pay the bill that way. That small finance charge is nothing compared to a $1300 in four months.
    This is the first card I have had in years, due to judgements, non-pay on student loans, etc. I know it isn't the best in the world, but it damn sure feels good after not having a card for years.

16. Hubert X

Hubert X Guest

RE: Your Right!

Yes. The cycle ends once the bill has been paid.

17. FISH

FISH Guest

RE: I Got Mine

They review every four months, so in the 4th or fifth month you will get an increase. The next one is 4 or five months AFTER they increase it. It is from the increase date NOT every 4 months as you think. Still they are very regular with them and at times throw in a couple hundred increase here and there when you least expect it.

18. Cadillac408

Is your card listed.....

Is or was your card ever listed as Secured on your credit reports since you gave them $49 for a $500 limit? I gave them $49 for a $300 limit and it shows as secured. When they raise your limit, do they unsecure your card also?

Sounds like Providian was good to you. I also had a judgement on my credit but I paid it recently (7/31/00) and I also have screwed up Student Loans. I consolidated it and have been paying on that perfect but the people who they bought the loan from are reporting as a paid collection. I am disputing this. Then there's 1 student loan (directly from the school) for $2500 that I'm in default on. They sent it to a collection agency. I'm in the process of trying to clear that up. I'm going to call and see if they can get it back from the collection agency so I can pay them directly.

Anyone with student loan experience, feel free to comment.....