Providian Gold Best Terms/Limi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nice Guy, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Nice Guy

Nice Guy Guest

Just curious...what are the best terms and highest limits that anyone out there has achieved with Providian's VISA Gold Card?

I currently have 16.9 APR, Grace Period, No Annual Fee, and $6,900 limit after 4 years and am wondering what others' experiences have been. Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. Wizardca3

Wizardca3 Guest

RE: Providian Gold Best Terms/

Just received their Gold card and am starting at 1000 limit and 23.99%

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Just received an upgrade from the classic card. New limit of $4400. APR of 23.99 -- I will be calling in as everyone suggested to get a lower rate and *maybe* a grace period! Thanks all.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

My limit is $9,000 with a 19.8 APR, grace period, no annual fee. I'm not happy with the APR so I don't carry a balance on this card.

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I just received the card in 11/00 and they offered me a $500 limit, no grace, 23.99% and $59 annual fee. I am definitely planning to negotiate with them in about a month or two.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Dave...how did the apr lowering and grace period addition go down? Can you tell your story? Thanks.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I've had their lame persona $250 for 3 months, i'm gonna either 1. Not use it, or 2. Get them to give me a more reasonable term.

My first Steps have been:

1. Email(their private mail) for a line increase - denied, they said they will make the offer every 3-4 months. no biggie it was just an email.

2. Email again (been busy at work lately) threatening to close account if apr is not reduced to 16.9% (i know im reaching, but its email, no face to loose).

It's been taking a whole week (!!) for their email support. I'll post an update.

I expect to get denied for #2, at which point i will contact retention by phone.

The only reason i want to keep this card, is i paid an outrageous yearly fee, and darnit, i expect to get 1 years worth of trade line from it. I got the card before my citibank, and i would be out of my mind to exercise the 23.99% rate when i have 17.49%..

I'll keep you guys updated. I could care less if i piss off providian to the point of them closing the account..

From what others who have this card, you guys have no grace and decent int rate, damn :) i guess i got suckered.

8. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Joe--

I called customer service and told a supervisor that the 23.99 rate was not acceptable and deterred me from using the card especially since there is no grace period. I asked for 15.9 but he said they could not do that. Instead, he reduced the interest rate to 19.8, permanently waived the annual fee and gave me a credit line increase of $1K. I thought I had accomplished alot with this call. I will wait a few more months to negotiate further.

9. S.D.

S.D. Guest

dave

Can you please advise on my post for ROLO?

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

REwow

good work. How long have you had the product and how were your usage habits to get this card?????

inquiring minds want to know.

11. S.D.

S.D. Guest

sam

Do you have this card? Have you had any luck getting them to give you better deals?

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: sam

im working on it, getting nuff courage to call them up and ask rentention without being shot down :)

i'll just wait for my next angry day

13. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: REwow

I've had the card since 96. Started out as a classic card (secured). It was upgraded to gold in May or June this year. Initially, the APR was 19.8 but went up to 23.99 in conjunction with a credit limit increase I accepted in 99. I used the card extensively, revolving over 6K at times. Early this year, I paid the card down rapidly and then called to negotiate better terms. My credit limit then went from 6700 to 9K in about three months. I also made money for them (a hell of alot) and they were more receptive to keeping the account for this reason. (I think). After all of this happened, I then got new credit with high limits from citibank, at&t universal and mbna.