Providian Gold Card upgrade

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by IamBuzzed, Jun 26, 2001.

1. IamBuzzed

IamBuzzed Well-Known Member

For those who have been upgraded from classic to gold, does the numbers change? I have recently upgraded Providian from Classic to gold, got the card, but the number is the same. I have heard that Gold, numbers in front will change. Is this true? Has anyone else upgraded Providian Classic to Gold. THX

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Might want to do a search on this. Normally when you are upgraded to Gold, your number should change. If the number didn't change then I think that might mean that your card is not classified by Visa or something as a TRUE gold card w/ gold benifits.

This happened to someone here before. I can't remember the whole story but something along the lines of them getting upgraded but not TRULY upgraded.

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

It was me. If you do a search for "marci" and "chubb" it will come up.

For most companies the card number does change, as that signifies inclusion into Visa International's gold/platinum card benefits database. But not all companies use Visa's insurers to underwrite their "gold/platinum" benefits. Providian uses Chubb instead, at least for some of the accounts, and so while the benefits are true gold benefits, they simply aren't registered with Visa that way. Thus, no need for the account number change.

From what I see, Providian's benefits match those of Visa, so no harm is done. I think. :)

4. marci

marci Well-Known Member

5. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Your new Providian Gold card number may or may not change.
    Usually the first 4 or 6 digits of a cc number will designate,bank,classic,gold,or plat.status. So someone(or a computer program) looking at your credit file could possibly tell which type of acct you have with that company.
    There are exceptions.Citibank is big enough to make their own rules and can change a classic card to a plat card and still keep the same #, if they want to and you ask them to.
    The other exception I'm aware of ( I'm sure there are more)and the answer to your question, is Providian credit cards that start with 4478 or 4479 can be upgraded without changing card numbers.

VJ

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

When my Visa was upgraded to gold, my number changed. Last month they upgraded my Mastercard to gold, but I still haven't received the card so I don't know if it will have the same number.

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

How long did you have your MC before it was upgraded?

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member