Providian Gold Visa Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angela, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Angela

Angela Guest

To my surprise, Providian appears to be offering me a Gold Visa with up to $3,000 credit. The fine print says minimum $500.

There is a 25 day grace period. I have read that providian reports to all 3 CRA's. No annual fee.

Now the bad news, a whopping 23.99% apr. talk about a pound of flesh. Is this interest rate negotiable??? There is an 800 number to call.

My credit problems are now 3 years in the past. Capital One gave me a pretty good card.

Any info on Providian experiences would be apprecited. I don't have to reply until February 1.

2. Killer

Killer Guest

RE: Providian Gold Visa Questi

I recently realized that I have had a grace period on my Providian gold since I received the card this past summer. I assumed that I didn't have a grace because most folks didn't initially. They had to ask for grace later. My Apr is the same as yours but I always pay the balance. I have had no problems with them.

3. Angela

Angela Guest

Thanks Killer

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

You can negotiate the Apr. They suggest you call them after about 5 months so they can see how you handle your card, and then they will be able to offer more. I called after about a month after I received the card, said that I had a better offer but I wanted to stay with Providian. The rep in Retention lowered my 23.99 APR tp 21.9%. It wasn't much, but I had only had the card for a month and had no other credit crads, so I didn't threaten to close my account.
    I have a $500 limit (guaranteed approval), with no grace and $59 annual fee. I guess it depends on your credit history...
    Yours must be okay?
    Good Luck...

5. Herman

Herman Well-Known Member

I had that $3000 offer 6 months ago.The certificate in the fine print did not mention
    any minimum of $500.It also has a sticker to place to that acceptance certificate.The small print showed that a preliminary credit report has been used for the requirement of the offer and CRA's phone # listed below the print.The apr of 23.99% no grace period and $59 annual fees for acct term and conditions are listed for the agreement.
    I sented the offer and received the Visa gold
    in 8 days.My statement didn't charge any finance fees on purchases all these past months,humm.In fact,my initial credit line from $3000 raised to $4300 in three months.
    Futhermore,I had a offer just last week for a Providian mc, just needed a signiture and a phone number to applied.But then it's a $1000 limits which not so attractive to applied.I wishes you the best of lucks.
    FYI,that $3000 offer has a phone # on it.
    1-800-665-7232
    Regards,

Herman

Angela wrote:
    -------------------------------
    To my surprise, Providian appears to be offering me a Gold Visa with up to $3,000 credit. The fine print says minimum $500.

There is a 25 day grace period. I have read that providian reports to all 3 CRA's. No annual fee.

Now the bad news, a whopping 23.99% apr. talk about a pound of flesh. Is this interest rate negotiable??? There is an 800 number to call.

My credit problems are now 3 years in the past. Capital One gave me a pretty good card.

Any info on Providian experiences would be apprecited. I don't have to reply until February 1.

6. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

That card is a good one to start with. They do report to all three CRA and they do increase the credit limit often. The APR is huge but if you pay off each month you don't need to worry about it (since you have the grace period). And from my experience (and other's) Providian is a company that's very open to negotiations. You'll get better terms as time goes on....