Providian grace period questio

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marypc, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

I got a Providian Visa gold, 2k limit, in 5/00. (Unsecured)I never heard from them again regarding any increases or offers. I called about 5 mo in to ask about interest reduction (from 22.9%) and was told by their rep that they "dont adjust the interest." Not true I assume, but figure I need to wait a while, as it was a new card. After reading this board, I get wise and call them again, to say I never got an increase. I am told that I have to wait, no reason given. I write to planetfeedback.com and get a letter saying that my yearly fee is reversed for this year only ($59) and I also get a 1K increase.

A month later, I call to ask about the grace period. I am told that the card has no grace period., end of story. I say "how can that be, my friend has a card with a grace period?" I get switched to two supervisors, (both reps asked me, mid sentence, if I wanted to talk to a supervisor.) but they tell me the same thing.

I figure, what the heck, I'll call again (2 wks later) and see what the next rep says. He tells me that some cards have a grace period, but I have to wait till the next account review, since I just got the increase, and they review accounts every 4 months. On top of this, I get a letter from some VP at Providian who reiterates the criteria for increases (all of which I 've met.) I guess they dont review account histories too often, or she'd know that.

So my question is, how the heck do I get a card with a grace period, or convert this card into one that has a grace period?

2. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Try this Retention #

Providian's Retention # 1800 215-7318
    I've had my card since 11/00 and just 3 weeks ago I called this number that Marie had posted and had my APR reduced from 21.99 (originally 23.99) to 16.9!! I had complained not having a grace and high interest and that I was getting better deals from other creditors... I really didn't have to fight too hard. I talked to a rep by the name of Brandon. Very friendly. He said that usually the package with the grace period was considered once the account was a year old or so. He couldn't help me there, but my interest decrease was cool. So try that # and see if you have any luck. don't forget to be nice and sweet when you explain your situation. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Re: Try this Retention #

I just called, they told me that the account would have to be put thru a "manual review" and they'd let me know by mail. I am so fed up with Providian..I asked if it would involve a credit inquiry, the rep didnt know. They are jerking me around for some reason, I dont know why. they always offer to send me to a supervisor, who tells me the same thing., to wait for an offer in the mail.

Arrrgghh!!

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I'm sorry to hear that. =0( I wonder why they're messing with you like that. That's not fair. I don't know how bad you need this card, but maybe threatening to cancel might get them to wake up...(use at your own risk!!). By the way, you said your limit was $2000. Do you have a high balance? Because if that's the case, maybe they're using that against you. They probably know you're not going anywhere even if you seriously try to close your account. They know you would still owe them big time (if your balance is up there). I don't know. I'm just thinking of reasons for why they're doing you wrong.

5. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

i honestly am starting to think the account is tainted somehow! I got another supervisor, just now, who told me that she cant understand why the system wont "let her" offer my anything. She thinks it may be because the 1k increase is only a month old. She cant explain why I have never gotten any offers, either. I have a 3k limit, $1200 bal. I told her I will prob end up consolidating onto another card, because its not worth it to keep it, and I cant get any straight answers. She asked me if I wanted to close it right then and there! She offered me the manual review, but couldnt explain what it entailed, and said I would get a response in the mail. That scenario is all to familiar to me, :) so I said no thanks. I was polite, and thanked her for her help, so it wasnt because I was rude or anything. Im just going to pay it off and close it. Providian is starting to seem like a shady operation to me.

Thanks for your help though, and congratulations on your good fortune!!

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I figure, what the heck, I'll call again (2 wks later) and see what the next rep says. Author: Marypc (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
    Date: 03-02-01 14:16======================================
    Been my experance that reps are not all alike:I just keep calling back till i get one that will work with me!

7. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

You know, I thought about that, but I began to wonder if they note the account somehow, and would it look odd for me to keep calling them? Boy now I sound paranoid ("they're on to me!!")
    Plus, it seems that to do the interest reduction or give me a grace period involves some "system function" that they cant override. Either that or I am just an incredibly gullible dope and they just dont want my business :)I get so annoyed with the whole thing, and this is my 4th call, with no result. For now i will plan to pay and close, and see what, if anything, happens at the 120 day juncture. That will be the end of June, which is also the 1 yr anniversary. If I get nothing then, its a definite close.

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

grace periods..

I've been trying to get a grace period too... I'm even being manually reviewed by an Executive Team.. we'll see what happens but it does seem like it takes an act of God to get a grace period. Course, I'll have a balance on this card for another couple of months, so a grace period doesn't really affect me yet... but once I get this account to 0, I really will want a grace or I will leave. (I'm doing the run the balance up then down method for increasing my lines: so far it's really working) 5 big payments to go and this acct is at zero again.

I've gotten the interest rate reduction, the annual fee rebate, the 2K increase in credit: so maybe I have nothing to complain about. Still, a grace period is pretty industry standard. I have no other cards besides Prov that don't automatically give a grace period. It's the one thing I can say is substandard about Providian. Other than that, I must admit I actually really like the company. They've trusted me w/a lot of credit reasonably soon after a bk. :)

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

How to get a grace

I just remembered: when I first got my visa I was so retentive about payments that I would often times put a payment on the acct before the statement closed (oh, and my credit limit was so small that I had to). Anyway, for several months (until I regularly kept somewhat of a balance) I did notice I didn't get charged interest.

I wasn't sure if it was a glitch or what. Technically, without a grace, I should've been charged interest regardless of when I sent the payment in. But it seemed like, when I sent the payment right at the close of the statement cycle: no interest. Course, your "charge period" is ridiculously small, but if you sent in 2 smaller payments in every 2 weeks equal to what you were charging it would minimize the effect. And now we can send payments online so it's easy. Just a thought.

10. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Marie, a question

HOw long did you have the card before you got an APR reduction? And did you get the reduction around the same time as the line increase? This seems to be the problem for me, the one thing I keep hearing is that I cant have both so close together, despite the many posters here who seem to have gotten that. Also, as far as the APR, they have all told me, "you signed on to a program that has a certain APR, we cant change it, you agreed to it."

I had no BK, and while my credit was damaged, it wasnt by any means horrible, so I dont really need Providian, its just that they do the increases without an inquiry, and I have a larger limit with them.

thanks for your help.

11. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Marie, a question

I was dumb. I waited like a patient lamb until I reached 1 year and 1 day.
    When they offered me another card, a MC, however, I called the day I got the card and I got the interest rate reduced to 16.9. I'd say if you've had your card 4-5 months (four billing cycles minimum)... try for a lower interest rate and an annual fee rebate. Use their problem w/their website as a reason, it helps (if you're not familiar w/this approach, search Providian and you'll get very detailed posts on it).

Anyway, terms don't affect line increases. I'm certain of that. I call my cards every 2 months like clockwork. Works about half the time. :)

The rule I've learned is: when in doubt, call. The worst they'll tell you is to call back later.