Providian hard up for new customers

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by faztcobra, Aug 23, 2003.

1. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

My g/f has received, count'em, FOUR pre-approved letters from Providian in the last 10 days. Unreal. Her scores just recently jumped from 585-600 up to 650s and now they're sending her stuff like wildfire. But why FOUR?

2. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

file 13

3. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Here's a possibility: they want a score high enough to avoid risk, but low enough to justify jacking the rate in the near future.

They need customers like that right away, before they get prime credit. Four solicitations might get them noticed. After all, you noticed, right?

4. rednesss

rednesss Member

I've been seeing the same thing. I bet I've gotten 5 or 6 pre-approved offers from Providian in the last month, and I already have a Providian card. It's driving me nuts. Their rates suck so bad, 23.9, that it's in the file in my desk and I refuse to use it. But since it doesn't have an annual fee, I'm not closing it quite yet. They suck.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

They are idiots. They drive away customers with perfect payment records because of imaginary "risk." They raise APR's, lower CL's, and even close accounts.

Then they want new customers. So they use their old techniques to try to replace their old customers.

There are two problems with that:

There aren't enough new customers to replace the ones they drove away.

Even people new to Providian may have heard about how they treated their old customers. They aren't anxious to get treated the same way.