Providian--How far will they go?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by RichGuy, Aug 20, 2003.

1. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I paid off and closed my Providian MasterCard. Good riddance. After I paid it off, right before I closed it, they tried to reduce the credit limit from $1500 to $250. So I went ahead and closed it as I had planned to do all along. I guess some people keep $250 cards with $59 annual fees, but in my case there was no way I could let that happen.

So now I'm paying down my Providian Visa, which I don't necessarily want to close. This month, I paid about $300 of the $3000 balance. About a week later, they reduced the credit limit by $300. I intend to pay down the balance by about $250 every month until it's gone. I'm wondering now if they'll reduce my credit limit every month.

Are they really so afraid of me that they'll send me a letter every month to further reduce my credit limit? Would they go that far to get rid of my account?

2. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

hey RichGuy!

you deserve special attention - LOL!

It seems corporate to me - they are doing SOMETHING with this block of money - we are just unclear WHAT.

I do not think it is you particularly.... PROVIDIAN is trying to keep its head out of its fat *ss....

I could see you with that shiny JCB Card....it would be stunning :)))

3. RichGuy

California, here I come...

I can't get that shiny new JCB card in Arizona, LOL.

I'm really interested in seeing whether they actually reduce my CL every month. That would be the classic Providian style: ineptitude, overreaction, unreliability, etc.

Aregato, Dog-san!

4. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

I think they might be next on my list of closures...simply because it seems their website is down all the time. I go to log in and they're always having technical difficulties or they're down for maintenance. I went to make my payment earlier and their site was down - and stated it would be down until at least sunday. I bet it's a ploy that a lot of people have payments due and now won't be able to make them on time and they don't have their credit card slip to mail off or it's too late to mail off anyway. All part of the conspiracy.

5. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Just wait - the screwing is just starting. Providian sold most of its credit card portfolio to the company that runs the eMerge card. For a look at the fun you are in store for with eMerge just check this out:

http://www.cardoffers.com/reviews/cardholders/posted/card.asp?idmin=12297

6. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Providian--How far will they go?

Wow. I don't believe that I saw even one nice word about emerge/compu credit/whatever. Glad I only have about a $35 balance on there. That was only because I got it out of the sock drawer. I hadn't used it since December. I definitely don't plan on ever running up a balance with them. It's only a toy card anyway that's kept around because it's been open a few years.

7. shawbee

shawbee Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Providian--How far will they go?

I had a Providian card and in july decided I didn't like the terms of the card. I called to close it and they talked me into keeping it until the August review to see if they could do better. I agreed. Just last week I received an aspire card in the mail. They knew all the time that they had sold my card, and were just trying to keep it open until aspire got it. Well I closed the providian account, and never activated the aspire, as it will be soon shredded. I've tried to call to let aspire know I am not activating but you need to put in your card number to speak to anyone. No way am I doing that. What low life scum.

8. RichGuy

I aspire to emerge from Providian.

9. shawbee

I am with you there. My dh providian made it through the sell off but its going very soon. This week I acquired Chase, Citi, Gm and Corvette. Bye Bye Providian no. 2

10. RichGuy

That was quite a week--congratulations!!

11. shawbee

Thank you. I am a newbie. Only been reading the boards a couple of weeks. I have learned a lot. What a lot of game playing is going on. I dropped myself off as an authorized user and all my scores went from 650 to over 700. Equifax went to 727 with a boost from a negative dispute. Then I applied for Gm and corvette. Chase pulled 2 hards but at least I got it. Citi was accomplished today via PFB. Now I am just waiting for AmEx to reconsider Blue.

12. RichGuy

Cobra,

Speaking of The Conspiracy, Providian tricked me into paying late.

I've had 5 late fees imposed in the last 3 years, and all have been reversed except for one on my Providian MasterCard.

It used to be that the MC payment was due a day before the Visa payment. Then they were due on the same day for a while. Then one month, they made the MC payment due 3 days before the Visa payment. I remembered the date for the Visa, but didn't notice the date for the MC until 3 days before it was due.

Result: 2 days late and a $35 late fee.

But now I've paid off and closed the MasterCard, so they can't pull that one on me ever again.