Providian. How Low? APR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by FatJake, Mar 24, 2001.

1. FatJake

FatJake Guest

I've notice that some people on this board have called and gotten there Providian APR's lowered. I still have the 23.99. I've been with Providian Visa for almost two years. High activity with flawless payment history. I've noticed some people have gotten the standard 16.9 after asking the first time. Whats the lowest has anyone gone from having the %23.99

2. Wen

Wen Guest

I called yesterday and asked for the retention department. I asked
    for a rate reduction. The offered 19. So I took it. I also asked them
    to waive the 59 annual fee and they did. I thought I would wait a
    couple of months and try to get it down to the 16.9.

Hope this helps

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Wen

How long have you been with providian?

4. Paul

Paul Guest

Re: Wen

My wife called Providian yesterday afternoon and got her rate lowered to 19 also.

5. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Re: Wen

I got my rate lowered to 16.9% about 3 weeks ago. I just told them I had better offers and would transfer my balance. They also waived the annual fee. I have been a customer for about 3 years. A while back someone posted a phone # to get in touch directly with the retention dep't. If I can find it again, I will post it for you. That is the # I called and they were very nice.

6. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Retention #

800-215-7318

7. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Re: Retention #

Thanks Jen. I gave them a call and they said they had a high call Volume. Thats probably the message for after hours. I want to get that %APR. Did you got from %23.88 to %16.

I am not carrying a balence right now unfortunatly.

8. Wen

Wen Guest

I have been with them about three years.

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

You are welcome. Yes, I went from 23.99% to 16.9%. They actually gave me like 3 different options, including a line increase, but I was just interested in the lower APR.

10. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Jen

What do you think about this. In my nice voice. I want to tell them that I want to make a large puchase (it's true) and pay over time. I'd like to there card so would they lower my APR since I've been such a good customer. (I've been one).

What do you think? Should I go another angle?

11. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Yeah I would say something like that. I wouldn't worry about not having a balance too much. They can see that you have carried balances before and that you have been a pefect customer for 2 years. I would just say, I would really like to continue to use this card as I love the service, yet the rate is a bit high and there are so many other offers out there. I want to make a large purchase and will really need a more competitive rate. What can we do to make this a win-win? You have proven yourself to be a wonderful customer and they want to keep you. There is no reason for you to continue paying that high rate and they know it. Especially now when there are so many better rates out there. You deserve a good rate. Just keep that in mind when you are speaking with them. The way I see it the burden is on them. You should have no problem at all. Good Luck!

12. FatJake

FatJake Guest

Thanks! Jen.

With all your help I should tell you that Jake wants a Motorcycle. Jake dosen't need one but he wants one. He has half the money and will have the other half in October. October is when it will be to darn cold to ride. I want to carry the balence (with much more than the minumum payments) until that time then pay it off.

I just carried around $1000 on Aria for a month. The interest rate was $15 at 23.99! I've had Aria for less time. I'll work on them in 6 months.

13. DuckDodger

DuckDodger Guest

Re: Providian. How Low? APR

I currently have 2 (yes, two) Providian Visa cards. I'm not sure how it happened but they sent me a real pre-approved certificate in the mail for the first one which I'll call the Blue one (blue color, says "Visa Classic" on the top). Then about 3 months later I got another certificate--this card is the "Platinum" one (silver color with a script "P" on top). As far as I can tell, they are both Providian classic cards (the first 4 numers of each account are different) but the Blue statement always comes with a savings account statement because I can increase my limit via secured deposit (I never have). Also, the payments for one card goes to Los Angeles and the other to New Hampshire.

I've had them both for about 2 years now and stumbled into what must be the retention unit. Last November I got an offer (they love me ;-) for a Providian Mastercard with a $1,500 limit but the condition was I can only have one other Providian account at the time. When I called to close one of the Visas, the lady instead dropped my interest rate to 16.9%, upped my limit by $1,500 and waived the annual fee. To me, it was just the same as having the MC but she seemed really really concerned that I keep that Visa card...