providian increase offer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by zcraws33, Aug 1, 2001.

1. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

i rcvd an offer in the mail today to increase my mastercard 1000.00 for a $49.00 fee. they want to increase my line by another $49.00 also to compensate for the fee. Should I call Providian and ask them to waive the fee?
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tia
    SUZYQ

2. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

I would

Call them and give it a try. Also, if you don't mind me asking...how long have you had your MC from Providian. I'm wanting an increase also but they told me the card is still fairly new. I must wait until Sept.

3. zcraws33

Re: I would

It was opened 3/01. They raised it $200.00 last week and now I received the increase offer today.
    I just dont want to have a credit line of $2249. I would rather have the $49.00 fee waived if I can....

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

They would make it $2250.

5. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

If I was you, I wouldn't pay them a penny. I thought that Providian had some kind of class action lawsuit against them for that kind of thing! It's wrong to charge a customer for a credit line increase. I called Capital One and got a $200 line increase for free! I would NEVER pay for the increase, and if I was you, I wouldn't either. You could first politely ask them to waive the fee, and if they don't listen, threaten (you don't actually have to) to cancel the card if they don't increase the limit. It may even depend on whom you are talking to in the department. If the person sounds like they won't budge for anything, hang up and call again and talk with someone else about the sitution. Sometimes being forceful can get you somewhere; sometimes it can't. See what you can do. I'm sure, with enough push, you can get that fee waived.

6. zcraws33

thanks for the information..

But I think I am still going to contact them to have the fee waived all together. BUT do you guys know which number I should call to request the fee waived?

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Got my card 3/01 too...

Just called to check the balance, etc. (since I can't register this card on-line) and I noticed they raised the limit $100.....WHOOPIE! :-\

8. IamBuzzed

IamBuzzed Well-Known Member

Firs tell the rep that you would like the fee wavied and if she/he says no then ask them whynot. After that tell them you got many offers from other companies but would to stay with providian, maybe that would work. If all that fails, then threaten to cancel, but do not cancel it tho. I tried this and got my fee annual fee wavied, increase 1000, and upgrade to gold.

9. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Never pay for a credit line increase. Wait a month or two and you'll get it for free. It's in Providian's interest to extend more credit whether you pay for it or not. Just doesn't make sense to pay them for the privilege of loaning you more money at the high APRs they charge.