Providian Increase question?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by direct, Jul 14, 2001.

1. direct

direct Well-Known Member

Does anyone with long term Providian experience know the pattern of credit line increases that they normally issue?

I've seen this pattern already... On the 4th month from the original card issue date, you receive a $200 automatic increase, then an invitation for a $1000 increase in the 5th month (normally for a fee). Then about 1 year from the initial card issue date, another $200 increase and another invitation for a $1000 increase. Somewhere between the 1st and 2nd year, there is normally another round of increases until you are at about a $3100 to $3500 credit line. What's the normal pattern in the coming years and are there any tricks to get larger and more frequent increases?

2. direct

direct Well-Known Member

I've read all the "providian line increase" threads but recently I read that they stopped giving line increases over the phone. What is the newest method of increasing credit lines?

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Planetfeedback.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Is this the same pattern for Aria/GetSmart or is there a different one for this?

THanks

5. direct

direct Well-Known Member

Just got the GetSmart Gold Card, I will post if the increase pattern remains the same on this card.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I will do the same as I'm only 1 week away from 4 full months of good payments since receiving card.

7. direct

direct Well-Known Member

Just called the 888# on the back of the Get Smart Card. The recorded announcement says that in the 4th month, your account is automatically reviewed for a credit line increase and you will be notified in the mail. Let us know if the $200 "4th month providian auto increase" applies or is it a higher increase.

Thanks!

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I will, direct. I'm hoping that it does come through. It says "in" the 4th month?

Hmm..I just listened..did I miss the option?? How did you get that message?

9. nj_newbie

nj_newbie Well-Known Member

I am due to get a replacement card next month since my current card expires and I noticed that I got an automatic $100 credit increase. Hopefully, if you are right I should get an offer in the mail for a higher increase, maybe something like $1-2K. I'll definitely post the results.

NJ

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

In May, I wrote to find out about when to expect increases..this is what I got back..:

"Our credit department reviews all accounts monthly to determine which accounts qualify for an increase. A new account must establish four full months of payment history before it can qualify for a line increase. If your account qualifies for an offer, you will be notified by mail, and if it does not, it will continue to be reviewed monthly.

To help you qualify for a line increase, you need to: regularly use your account, pay at least the minimum due each month, stay within your credit line and pay on time, write no NSF (non-sufficient funds) checks, and maintain a good credit standing with your other creditors. Although this is not a guarantee, following these guidelines will certainly improve your chances of having your line increased. "

So...yup..I'll finish in about a week..

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, so you've had the card for a year? Have you had increases in that year? When? How much? Thanks

12. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Nana, I've had my second Providian account for a little over a year (MasterCard). Granted I already had history with Providian, but my CL went from $1,000 to $2,930 in a year. My Visa went from $300-$500 three years ago (I can never remember where it started) to $8,949.

They are usually right on time with increase offers. $100-$200 on your anniversary, $100-200 automatically every four months and $500-$1,000 for $49 offers also every four months by mail.

In May I saw my first $2,000 for $49 offer. That's the one they wouldn't give me when I asked for it because they had already increased my limit a couple of months earlier. I sent a letter through planetfeedback and eventually got $1,000 (showed up on Saturday) for $0.

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

That's really good news..thanks so much!

14. nj_newbie

nj_newbie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just a follow-up like I promised. Today, I get an offer in the mail from Providian for an increase. It is for $500. They are even offering to waive the fee of $99. All I have to do is sign and return.

Since there isn't a fee, I think I will take advantage of this one.

Looks like your theory is correct.

NJ_Newbie

15. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

My first Providian (Gold) opened in June 2000 with a $2000 CL.

First increase was in Nov of 2000 for $200
    Second increase in May of 2001 for $200
    Third increase in May of 2001 for $1050/fee of $49.00 (This came way of a mail offer)
    Fourth increase in June of 2001 for $100

Also in May, an offer for the MC with a $1000 CL. I did not notice that it has no GP. I will wait one year and see if I can get a GP or it's out the door.

At this point Providian has been good with the increases. My Cap 1 is 4+ years (perfect payment) and it took Mr. Miller to unsecure my account and raise my CL by $1000.

Battling a bk-13 is tough as no prime cc will touch me. Hell even Citgo Gas turn me down. But in this time frame I have managed to obtain three major cc, one retail (Target) and a mortgage.

So things can be better but its a lot better than in 1996 when only Cap. 1 would give me a cc with a opening cl of $200/secured for $99.00. God, it was tough to rent a car and a hotel room on buisness trips.

Best regards,
    Sam

16. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Mirage..thanks for the info. Wow..they opened you up with a 2K limit? After a bk13? How old was your bk13?

17. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

I am battling my own bk 7 (April 1999), but I will say being aggressive is key, with Providian as with other creditors. I hope you and everyone realizes this fact and goes for the best you can get!

Every account I closed before the bk (trying to avoid the bk) has extended me credit. Here is the rundown, first with Providian:

Providian (Silver) opened in Nov 1999 with a $1000 CL.

First increase was in April of 2000 for $1000
    Second increase in July of 2000 for $1000
    Third increase in October of 2000 for $1000
    Fourth increase in Jan of 2001 for $1000
    Fourth increase in May of 2001 for $1000
    Apr reduced in June of 2001 to 19.8
    Annual fee waived in July of 2001

I paid for none of the increases. All of them were given to me by supervisors or retention. I just kept calling and asking.

Two other creditors, Dillards and Circuit City, have extended credit. Dillards in January started me at $500, and today it is $2500. Circuit City gave me $2000 last week.

Others, all opened early last year:
    FCNB $3000
    Orchard $2000
    Aria $2000

Being aggressive really has it's rewards - even for a bk 7 person like me.

18. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

NanaC- I filed my bk-13 in late 1996. I was finally discharged in Aug. of 2000.

TU has my bk-13 listed as dismissed, so I have a hell of a suit against them as they keep saying its verfied.

I am done with going after any major cc, unless it's AMEX green.

Btw in this time span I also have an open credit with AT&T wireless and a checking account with debit card access.

Not to mention a mortgage.

Best regards,
    Sam

19. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

You have done great, Sam! Congrats!

20. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Orchard Bank $2000 cl

that's so hard to believe. HOw long did it take to get there?