PROVIDIAN Increase / XXXXX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Feb 2, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi - the other great exciting piece of mail I received today, ironically, was this flyer worded specifically:

Dear (Dogman):

"As a reminder your Providian BuySmart membership has been automatically renewed, and the $119 annual membership fee has been billed to your Providian credit card account.

You will see the charge, along with a credit line increase of $120 so that your available
    credit was not affected.

The $120 credit line increase is yours to keep as long as you are a Providian BuySmart member for the full membership term."

OK - LOOK - Here are the $119 annual fee benefits:
    1 - 20% savings at JCPenney, Pier 1, Kmart
    2 - 20% barnes and Noble books
    3 - Access to Discount Shopping Service - get stuff at 25% off RETAIL.

Call 1-800-356-0011 if not completely satisfied.

I called, Jennifer cancelled, then tried to sell me credit payment protection for $149.
    She would give me $150 credit increase if I bought that!

NOPE. Watch out all. Providian tried to make this look like a renewal - and without
    my permission.

FYI - I called my Providian number to check acct status - they HAD increased my limit by $120 ALREADY - and had charged my card!

They better not start this bullshit again or I will personally walk this letter over to the SF District Atty ofc that investigated Providian - which is six blocks away from where I work.
    =============================

What a contrast between AMEX and Providian.
    Even getting bounced for the GOLD was much more insightful and better service than the other card - the one that will slam their charges on your account at their discretion.

I hope I have adequately expressed my appreciation of Providian Visa's "returned" practices.

Dogman

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Its amazing what they think they can get away with. Just like that APR increase if you don't make atleast a minimum payment every month. I wonder how many have thrown that little scrap of paper away when the bill came?

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Let's examine this program carefully:

Dogman wrote:
    "Here are the $119 annual fee benefits:
    1 - 20% savings at JCPenney, Pier 1, Kmart"

This probably does not apply to already-discounted merchandise. What it basicly means is unless you're going to spend $600 or more on non-discounted items alone, that membership won't do you any good.

"2 - 20% barnes and Noble books"

Now that's lame. Every self respecting deals web site will show you how to save 25%-33% on B&N purchases. Try http://www.bigbigsavings.com/bystore.php3?m=2

"3 - Access to Discount Shopping Service - get stuff at 25% off RETAIL."

I'll believe it when I see it.

Saar

4. Anon

Anon Guest

I had an ARIA Platinum Card when they were first introduced at 7.99% apr, $5k limit and a Chap7 on my CRA. I thought their customer service was lousy before I started reading some of the posts. Some of their credit practices are questionable at best. Canceled the card. I categorize them with FUSA.

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Saar - do we all have a DRY sense of humor?
    I love sarcasm - AND AGAIN - thank you internet for letting us "USERS" dispurse this type of information - immediately - to the world.

We CAN ALWAYS outrun the companies now!

I looked this morning at Providian acct -
    back to normal.
    I printed immediately the statement showing the charge and of course documented my time, date, and conversation with the Providian Rep - Jennifer.

Providian earnings were up 40% in 2000!
    I will not contribute anything but an annual fee to Providian. That's it! .

CYA Dogman

6. Killer

Killer Guest

Dogman..Thanks!

Dogman thanks for this post!

I must use Providian to build credit! Their frequent increases are what I need to build a high limit account. I have DMB and Orchard. However, neither has increased my limit. I have been with Providian only for 5 months and limit has increased by $649. Now that I know what kind of games they play, I can be on the watch! Thanks for sharing! I will watch them very closely!

7. Angela

Angela Guest

thanks Saar

That website is now stored on my computer. Do you know of any other good websites offering discounts?

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: Dogman..Thanks!

they are OK - for building - but slick.
    cya killer

9. Len

Len Guest

Dogman, it's hard to understand
    how Providian could fall back
    into this pattern of abuse after
    the hell raised in San Francisco
    over their scam. I keep hearing
    this kind of thing and it seems
    like old times.

I work on Union St. near Levis
    Plaza and Telegraph Hill. I can
    meet you at the DA's office in 15
    minutes with the Contact 4 crew:)

Len Dogman wrote:-------------------------------Hi - the other great exciting piece of mail I received today, ironically, was this flyer worded specifically:Dear (Dogman):"As a reminder your Providian BuySmart membership has been automatically renewed, and the $119 annual membership fee has been billed to your Providian credit card account.You will see the charge, along with a credit line increase of $120 so that your availablecredit was not affected. The $120 credit line increase is yours to keep as long as you are a Providian BuySmart member for the full membership term."OK - LOOK - Here are the $119 annual fee benefits:1 - 20% savings at JCPenney, Pier 1, Kmart2 - 20% barnes and Noble books3 - Access to Discount Shopping Service - get stuff at 25% off RETAIL.Call 1-800-356-0011 if not completely satisfied.I called, Jennifer cancelled, then tried to sell me credit payment protection for $149.She would give me $150 credit increase if I bought that!NOPE. Watch out all. Providian tried to m....

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Joe Ducey - chan 4 contact 4.
    wonder how much that would be worth to Providian to hane me shut up.

11. Ryanne

Ryanne Guest

Dogman,

Thanks for the warning. I will check my statements more carefully. I just recently noticed an increase of $100. Then I got a letter offering an increase of $1000 with a charge of $99. From this board, I've learned the initial increase was to offset the fee. Now I see that there are other things to look out for, if I choose to sign up for their offers.

Ryanne
    http://www.geocities.com/creditassist

12. Len

Len Guest

Yep. Joe Ducey was on top of the Providian scandal and would probably do a follow-up in a flash if this crap is starting again. The DA's office would be very interested as well.

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Lets face it - this is the ONLY case Terrance Hallinan ever dogged and convicted (or settled).

The medicinal pot clubs, the prostitution,
    heis refusal to even has SF police go after these sorts of crimes. !!!!

I voted for him :)

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Ryanne

Thos came in a sort of "flashy" envelope from Providian. It came one month after my card was renewed and sent a new one for another two yrs.

GET THIS! The credit insurance they tried to sell me for $149 - then raise my limit by $150"to cover it" did not pay off ANYTHING
    if you were disabled, fired etc. It merely
    paid the minimum Providian pymt due.
    Then, if you live, you get to assume the same debt you had B4 disabilty!!!
    THE SAME SCAM OFFER INVESTIGATED AND PROVEN
    BY THE SF District Attorney.

It will be a separate mailing - BUT - I would watch everyone's statement carefully based on me having a perfewct pymt history with them - AND THEY TRIED TO STIFF ME!

cya - Dogman

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: Ryanne

Typing is disgusting this pm.
    I will spellcheck :)

16. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

There's opportunity here that you've missed. YOU USE PROVIDIAN'S Programs to increase your credit FREE. I opened an account in 9.2000 with a 500 credit line. I now have 5599. Here's how: I used their programs with FREE ADDITIONAL CREDIT. They're Destination Unlimited (129 Program fee, 130 increase to cover costs, 200 additional credit IF YOU NEED IT), Health Advantage (149.99 fee, 150 to cover it, 200 ADDITIONAL CREDIT IF YOU NEED IT). Sign up, a week later when your materials come call up and utilize ALL THE EXTRA CREDIT. Eg: Destination Unlimited is for auto emergencies... say you need work done at one of their shops (have the name ready). When they ask how much it'll be, say it's 350. They'll Activate all 200 additional credit for you. They never check to see if the charge for auto work is put on your account. Now you have their 200 line increase free, EVEN IF YOU CANCEL THEIR PROGRAM! 2 weeks later, cancel and get a full program refund BUT KEEP THE EXTRA 200! I actually signed up a year later again for Destination Unlimited and Health Advantage but found out they'll only give you the extra credit ONCE. FYI: Line of credit increases can occur every 120+ days, so I call up every four months (making sure 120 days has passed since the last increase over $200) and ask for more. I got $1000 free in December 2000 just for the asking. Also, you can go to www.planetfeedback.com and complain of slow credit line increases, high interest rates, etc and they will actually respond to you! I did this in Jan and, while I didn't get a Platinum card I did get another $1000. Before I just started asking, I spent the 99 fees to get 1000 increases. Dumb, now that I know better. Good luck!

17. Jo

Jo Guest

Did you put correct date??

I am sorry but you said you opened the account in Sept of 2000, and 4 months later you went from 500 to 5599, something soens't sound right here?? Maybe you typed in worng date of opening the account??

18. Len

Len Guest

Well, he is concerned about the
    dog attack, although with him
    it's hard to tell if it's
    prosecutorial passion or a slight
    case of narcolepsy. Dogman wrote:-------------------------------Lets face it - this is the ONLY case Terrance Hallinan ever dogged and convicted (or settled).The medicinal pot clubs, the prostitution,heis refusal to even has SF police go after these sorts of crimes. !!!!I voted for him :)

19. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AND I am GLAD about that whole urdeal.
    Something is far from over on that one.

ADOPTING the lifetime convict was either stupid or brilliant - as time will tell.

EITHER WAY - Nolo and Knoller are in deep @!#$ - and blood.

cya - Dogman FYI - I am much more lovaeable and trustworthy.

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Jo - Are you AMEX Gold JO?

Where in the heck have you been?
    Missed you tremendously - Dogman