Providian increases

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Anew, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Anew

Anew Guest

What is the highest amount of a free credit line increase have Providian given you, I'm curious because I've been with them 16 months and each time I get a free increase its on 200.00, I am always on time with their payments I wonder what they base their free line increase on. Any input would be helpful.

2. TommyC

TommyC Guest

Hi Anew,
    In regards to Providian, I have had their visa gold card for 9 months and I just got another increase. Like clockwork, the increases seem to come every three months. It generally starts with an unannounced increase of 200.00. I check my account online about every three days, when I'm balancing my accounts and when I see that Providian has increased my credit line by 200.00, I know that there will be an offer in the mail for a 1,000.00 increase for 49.00, soon after.
    With Providian, I make purchases and pay down my balances to about 20% of my credit line. For example, for a 1,000.00 credit line, I charge the card up to about 900.00 and then send in several payments a month, to get the balance down to about 200.00.
    I've noticed when I pay the balance off in full on my other sub-prime cards (Orchard and Capital One), I rarely get a credit line increase. Providian is awesome if you are establishing or rebuilding your credit, for the sheer sake of boosting your credit lines quickly, and then after some time, negotiating for better terms. Best wishes, TommyC

3. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above post. I've had Providian for 2 yrs and always had a $500 balance. I didn't really care about increases at the time because I didn't use my credit card that often. But when I started using the card, my increases came like clockwork. Then I called the retention center and received a whopping $1100 increase.

I 2 months, I plan to have my card upgraded.

4. Anew

Anew Guest

To:mother2

What did you call the retention department for?

5. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

To unsecure my card

:eek:)

6. SEAN

SEAN Well-Known Member

Re: To unsecure my card

Anew,

I'm usually given $2,500 every quarter by providian, however, I have a platinum account with a low apr. I'm not sure what there policy is regarding their sub prime cards. If I were you I would call account retention and threaten to close your account...you should get $500-1000 out of 'em.

Sean

7. SEAN

SEAN Well-Known Member

Anew,

Please don't forget that every line increase results in a larger min. payment due.. Make sure your budget allows for the increased payment due. Providian has gotten other customers in that trap of larger payments....My point is..be careful and make sure your budget allows for the larger payment due. Take care.

Sean

8. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Guess I'm the odd woman out here, I've had my card since 5/00, never got a single increase until I called to complain. I got 1k, (original line was 2k) but they told me if I receive any other offers in the near future, they would be void. Needless to say, once that card is paid off, it goes into a shoe box in the closet :)

(still need it for my reports, otherwise I'd close it.)

9. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

To Sean:

I don't understand this post below. My payment has only been going up when my balance goes up, not my credit line. My largest increase was $1500. 8 months after starting out with the $500 limit, my credit limit is $3300.

"Please don't forget that every line increase results in a larger min. payment due.. Make sure your budget allows for the increased payment due. Providian has gotten other customers in that trap of larger payments....My point is..be careful and make sure your budget allows for the larger payment due. Take care."