Providian Late Fees

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by RichGuy, Oct 9, 2001.

1. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Last month, I allowed 4 and 5 days for my Providian payments to get to New Hampshire. The due dates of Sept. 29 and Sept. 30 both fell on a weekend, and both payments were posted on Monday, Oct. 1. When the new statements showed up on the computer a few days later, no late fees had been assessed.

This indicates either that Providian has an informal grace period of at least 2 days for payments, or that payments due on a weekend are posted on Mondays but not considered late. Either way, I'm happy for now. If they try to claim on a credit report that 2 days late is 30 days late, then and only then will I be upset with them.

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

One of the few good things to be said about this company is that it does allow a little extra time before imposing a late charge. But it makes up for this tiny piece of flexibility through its famous 23.99 APR with no grace period for purchases.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Could it be that they are allowing some extra time in light of 9/11/01?

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

MP$40,

That's certainly possible, but it seems unlike any bank, especially Providian, to add an additional grace period automatically without a customer requesting it. These banks profit from the passivity of their customers, most of whom won't request anything.

On the other hand, if Providian did add a little extra grace period for September, then I salute them for that.

5. miles

miles Well-Known Member

The grace period for late fees is not related to
    Sept. 11. Providian stated they would give a 2-3 day period after the due date before imposing late fees last year during that lawsuit mess.
    It's good to know they are still living up to their agreement.