Providian & limit offer.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Oct 30, 2000.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Ok, today I mailed in the offer to accept a $1K increase for $99. Stupid I know. But I decided to do it after getting the offer over a month ago. My balance is $319 with a $1,530 limit. I sent in a check to pay the $99 though. I got tired of milling over the thing. I plan to close First Premier by 3/2001. That will give me 1 year with that card. So far I have only closed my secured First Consumers. I plan to pay off my Ethan Allen line of credit with MBNA in 1 year. If orchard bank doesnot start handing out better credit line increases, i will close them in 4/01 as well. Chase bank hasnot reported my card yet. Does anyone know how long it takes these guys. I got the card in aug. oh, well that is all that is on my mind tonight. Peace!

2. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

RE: Providian & limit offe

If you have a 9K limit with citibank, why would you pay $99 to get a thousand dollar increase through providian?

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I knew someone would ask that. I have asked myself the same question. I dont know. I guess I have turned into a credit addict. That has to be the answer. Not everyone jump on that last statement at once. You might trip on yourselves. Let the psychoanalysis begin..lol.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

please, come lie on my couch and tell me all about it. <g> seriously, you should have waited a month or two. you would have gotten the increase anyway.

5. Eboni

Eboni Guest

My Opinion-Might as well

Since you have the card you might as well increase the limit. I have heard if you let it ride they increase it a couple months latter without you paying:)

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I was counting on getting the increase on top of this one. I am due for an increase in jan/feb. Can you say credit limit hungry?

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I should be getting an increase from Providian in November. Last one was three months ago. Over the summer, my credit line went from 6700 to 9000. This happened after I paid the card down from 6000 to -0- in five months. After that, I got them to lower the APR to 19.8, waive the annual fee permanently, and give me a grace period. In a few more months, I'll get the rate down further.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

dang. that's great. how long have you had the card.

9. dave

dave Well-Known Member

It started as a secured account way back in
    '96 before the liberal period of CL increases. At that time I got a CL equal to 150% of the deposit.

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

oh, Ok. So you have done a great job of keeping your providian account clean. That's good. Maybe prov. will have me at 5k by 2002.

11. David

David Well-Known Member

RE: My Opinion-Might as well

Speaking of Providian (Aria)- has anyone had any luck getting an account upgrade, like Persona to Portrait or Platinum?

12. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Guess I'm joining the fan club

I just got my statement from providian and I called to inquire about one of the products that they were trying to offer me for $119. The rep stated that a credit line increase offer was mailed out to me on 10/24 ($500 for XX). The XX is unknown at this point but will be applied to the card and they will extend credit to make up for the XX amount. So, assuming that the offer is for $99, I'll have $600 added to my credit line putting me at $1k. Not bad for 6 billing cycles. I have seen better done by others but I'm happy I guess. Better than nothing.

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Guess I'm joining the fan

I know mp. We must be crazy. But we cant help ourselves.lol

14. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

I got my card back in Sept.98 with a 500.00 limit and in Jan.99 my limit was about 2500. I have never paid for an increase, mainly because I have never gotton one of those offers. (I don't know why, considering how well I pay them.) Well anyway to make a long story short, my limit is now 7600. All it take is persistance, and Roni, you said that you were a pretty good talker, them I know your Providian limit will look like Citibanks in no time. :)
    Also my hubby has an Aria for 13 months and he started with 500.00. He has paid for 2 increases. 1 was 1000 for 99.00 and 500.00 for 99.00. But with that same persistance, his limit is 6000, only after a year.
    So that means they are going to have to do better for me, considering is limit is close to mine, and I have more history.
    For me, Providian is a keeper. I wish everyone luck with their credit journeys.