providian line increases

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Feb 2, 2001.

1. dave

dave Well-Known Member

More than six months have gone by since my last credit line increase from Providian. No lates or over the limit. I think I haven't gotten one because I paid only $4 in interest charges since the last increase. I suspect that it is easier to get one by carrying a balance. I haven't done that because the interest rate (19.8) is not competitive and I only carry balances low rate cards. Anybody else think that carrying a balance with Providian is the key to getting increases?

2. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

Call retention and tell 'em the same thing you just told us.

-Alwilda Smith

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Called Providian to ask for lower rate. Said they couldn't do that right away and gave me a number to fax a request. They did give me another $1500 on the spot which raises the limit to $10,500. I was happy about that since my only other card with a limit that high (Citibank) doesn't report it to any of the CRAs, as others here have noted about Citibank. I keep Providian mainly to improve my debt utlization ratio and this extra little bit helps to do that.

4. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Dave I don't know about that citibank statement. ?My girlfirend has a citibank visa and for 5 years now they have reported to all cra's. We ordered her reports about a month ago. As far as Providian and APR's I have had the gold card with a 450 limit for 1 month now the inteest rate ws 23.99 I called this evening and they lowered it to 19.8.

5. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I didn't get into the details about Citibank because my post was really about Providian, but the Citibank situation is more complicated than I said. Here is what's happening. On Experian, Citibank is not reporting limits on any of my cards. On Equifax and Trans Union, they are reporting limits on two of them (this includes the AT& T Universal card which is issued by a Citbank subsidiary). They are not reporting limits on my world aadvantage card at any CRA. When I challenged this, Equifax told me that Citibank reported back that the card has no limit. This is technically true. There is no preset limit on how much you can charge but there is a limit on how much you can revolve. It is that figure that I would like to have reported but oh well--doesn't look like that's going to happen.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Call every 120+ days and ask for an increase. Calling retention only works once in a while. After that, you're just crying wolf. Also, Use the extra credit given with Destination Unlimited and Health Advantage. With each program you get an ADDITIONAL 200 for "Emergencies". Yeah. Get the program info, call and say you need car repairs/ glasses (depending on which program you're using) and they'll ask you how much the work will be. Always say 300+ so they'll "access" all your additional 200 line of credit. If you say you're getting 100 brakes they'll only give you 100 of the 200 available. Dumb. You don't actually have to have repairs/glasses because they never check. Make sure to see what companies they use in your area because they'll ask where you're having the work done. Then within the 30 day trial period, cancel the memberships. YOu get all the program fee back but you keep the extra 200 as a thank you for trying the programs. REMEMBER: you have to call and access the additional credit. They will NOT add it to your line of credit unless they think you're using the Programs. If you just sign up and then cancel the extra 200 is still theirs. This way, you can get an extra 400 increase in a month free. I'd call and ask for more credit FIRST, then do the progams because the increases in credit do go against you in the timeframe of "they'll only increase you every 120 days+". Have fun :) IT's a guaranteed way to increase your Providian lines! FYI: I did both programs within 3 weeks of each other, no questions asked.