Providian Mastercard!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by T, Nov 28, 2000.

1. T

T Guest

I called today to get the status of my application for a Mastercard from Providian the rep told me it was mailed out on the 25th. I am in the subprine cards because I am currently in a Chapter 13 BK, but this is a start for me next year around this time I should be looking at applying for a prime card What card(s) do you recommend.Any advice would be helpful.

2. Tom

Tom Guest

Congratulations! You are off to a great start in reestablishing you credit. What limit did you get? For prime cards I would try for Citibank or Chase in 6 months.

3. T

T Guest

CREDIT LINE 1000.00 59.00 ANNUAL FEE. DO YOU MEAN START APPLYING FOR PRIME CARD 6 MONTHS FROM NOW BECAUSE I HAVE A COUPLE OF SUB PRIME CARDS NOW THAT I HAVE HAD A LITTLE OVER A YEAR WITH NO LATE PAYS.

4. Tom

Tom Guest

If you have had positive info for 1 year, I would apply now. Do you any outstanding derogatory entries besides the Ch13?

5. T

T Guest

I don't undestand your question. All information prior to my BK was derogatory. Also what cards do you recommend to apply for now. Thanks.

6. Tom

Tom Guest

When was it discharged?

7. tomL

tomL Guest

If you're still in Chap13, I hope you told your trustee about getting the card if you intend to use it. Borrowing anything without the trustee knowing about it could be grounds for immediate dismissal of Chapter 13 if he finds out.

TomL

8. T

T Guest

I WAS NEVER INSTRUCTED TO NOT TO ACQUIRE ANY CREDIT. GIVE ME MORE INFO ON YOU STATEMENT.

9. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: Prime- - No way!

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have a recent bankruptcy (less than 7 years old), you will not be receiving any prime credit card offers. In general, the bankruptcy reporting on the reports will generate the denial, with that as the denial reason. Sorry.

People may say something against my statement, but if it weren't true, Providian would have given you significantly better terms, rates, and limits...

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Dave makes valid points

I don't mean to rain on your parade either, but from experiences of other I know that went through BK, prime cards are hard to come by. My friend declared BK three years ago, she got a mortgage, 2 car loans but can't get a prime card to save her life, she was even denied for retail cards. So right now she has one card from providian, annula fee and high rates but that was the best she could do. Maybe others who have gone through this have better experiences??

Mom

11. Carrot

Carrot Guest

I agree with you both

My Bk is almost at the 5 year mark and I was declined for the Chevron Credit Builders card, so I won't even waste an inquiry with a prime bank! I did speak to a rep at Chase and was told I would likely be approved for a secured card with them because of the age of my BK. I've come to accept that that's the closest I'll get to having a credit cardd issued by a prime bank, and it's still not certain that I will be approved.

12. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

If you filed ch 13 and it hasn't been discharged yet, then you are not supposed to acquire any new credit. In fact, they could dismiss your bankruptcy because of it.

Be careful,
    Kelly

13. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I disagree with your statement that a person who files bankruptcy, Chapter 13 or otherwise, is barred by law from applying and obtaining new credit. Where do you get this information?

14. Carrot

Carrot Guest

During a Ch 13 BK, a debtor cannot incur new debts or enter into leases without the Court or Trustee first approving it. Under Chapter 13, you are usually permitted to keep all of your property creditors are paid out of the payments you make to the Chapter 13 Trustee.

People file a CH 13 to be relieved from debt: to obtain MORE debt during the payment plan would defeat the very purpose of the BK. People who file CH7 or CH 13 are not "barred" by law from obtaining credit, but it would be unwise to do so until your case is dismissed.